power options (standby and hibernation) without restart possible?

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gary

power options (standby and hibernation) without restart possible?

Post by Gary »

Hello developers,
in Windows (and probably also ReactOS) we have the situation, that if there is a non-plug-and-play-capable driver active, then the shutdown options "standby" and "hibernation" are not available. For example the driver vga.sys of Windows 2000 prevents the system from going into standby mode.

When vga.sys is replaced with a plug-and-play-capable driver by installing one and then restarting the power options are available.

My graphics driver is capable of performing mode switching and turning off the display after a certain time of inactivity directly after the installation. But the additional shutdown options are only available if the user has restarted the computer.

videoprt.sys and my driver do not receive any IRP_MJ_POWER queries until the system has been restarted.

I am out of ideas about what the operating system is waiting for and why it needs the restart.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or which file the power manager is, that decides which shutdown options the user can use?

Many thanks.
johnwood

Re: power options (standby and hibernation) without restart possible?

Post by johnwood »

Hello! While I don't have specific knowledge of the inner workings of Windows or ReactOS, I can offer some general insights.

When a non-plug-and-play driver is active, it may interfere with the system's power management features. Standby and hibernation are power-saving modes that require cooperation from device drivers to ensure proper functionality. If a driver does not support these features, the system may disable the corresponding power options.

In your case, when you replace the vga.sys driver with a plug-and-play-capable driver and restart the system, the power options become available. This behavior suggests that the new driver supports power management features and properly responds to IRP_MJ_POWER queries, allowing the system to enable standby and hibernation.

The power management decisions on Windows are handled by various components, including the Power Manager and related system files. These files are integral parts of the operating system and are responsible for managing power-related functions, such as device power states and system sleep modes. However, the specific file responsible for deciding which shutdown options are available may not be readily accessible or modifiable.

When developing a driver or working on system customization, it is absolutely essential to guarantee that your driver completely supports power management features and adheres to the required standards and specifications. This includes implementing the required power management interfaces and responding appropriately to power-related queries.

I would recommend consulting the documentation and resources provided by Microsoft or the ReactOS project to gain a better understanding of the power management subsystem and how to develop drivers that support power-saving features. Additionally, reaching out to relevant developer communities or forums focused on Windows or ReactOS development might help you find specific insights or solutions related to your issue.

Remember to test your driver on different hardware configurations and operating system versions to ensure compatibility and reliability.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
you will be better off asking your question on the ReactOS Mattermost https://chat.reactos.org/login
Gary

Post by Gary »

johnwood wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:57 am In your case, when you replace the vga.sys driver with a plug-and-play-capable driver and restart the system, the power options become available. This behavior suggests that the new driver supports power management features and properly responds to IRP_MJ_POWER queries, allowing the system to enable standby and hibernation.
Um, well, the problem is, that videoprt.sys and my driver do not receive any IRP_MJ_POWER queries until the system has been restarted. So I am not so worried about whether the driver responds to the queries correctly. The question is rather, what is my driver doing wrong before the restart happens or what does it need to do, that Windows starts sending those queries.
johnwood wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:57 am The power management decisions on Windows are handled by various components, including the Power Manager and related system files. These files are integral parts of the operating system and are responsible for managing power-related functions, such as device power states and system sleep modes. However, the specific file responsible for deciding which shutdown options are available may not be readily accessible or modifiable.
Do I have a chance by modifying registry entries or maybe calling functions of the Power Manager?
johnwood wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:57 am I would recommend ... reaching out to relevant developer communities or forums focused on ... ReactOS development
So far I had limited success with this approach.
Gary

Post by Gary »

MadWolf wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:53 pm you will be better off asking your question on the ReactOS Mattermost
Don't the ReactOS developers check the forum from time to time? I have noticed that this place is rather abandoned. But I thought it's because the ReactOS project died or is in the state of dying.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The forums is in state of dying, not the project. We have the official Mattermost on https://chat.reactos.org and the unofficial Discord Servers.

https://discord.gg/M7Q92vbp

This is there the fun happens today. Not many care about a forum or mailing list anymore tbh.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
florian

Post by florian »

EmuandCo wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:58 pm The forums is in state of dying, […]
Unfortunately.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, we sometimes try to throw interesting stuff in here and sometimes I even keep semi useful spambots active for a bit to get some life in here, but you cannot force the ppl to use the forums if they want more modern ways to talk to the ppl of the project.

EDIT: And yes, I am fully aware that this is off-topic ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...