How to submit a translation?

Discuss translation of both ReactOS and the website here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Web Team

kolle_hond

How to submit a translation?

Post by kolle_hond »

I'm sorry if this is covered here somewhere, I just couldn't find a proper explanation.
Where/how do I submit a new translation?

My Afrikaans translation is complete for most (80-99%) of the system modules and for some of the applications (20-40%), so it is usable, and I would love it if people could download it, test it and give me feedback.
I have also found a display issue, as the letter "ê" displays as a box in basically all menus (It is part of the translation for "File", so everywhere you would click "File" on the menu). Anyone know if this is a known issue, or if I should log a new JIRA ticket?
dizt3mp3r

Re: How to submit a translation?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Most impressed you have done so much with your translation - when complete the next step would be those Zulu translations - then you'd have an o/s for Africa! Well, southern Africa. Imagine that, an o/s for Africa - you had better get cracking, Xhosa, Shona, Swati.

yebo ndoda! kwakho kuningi sebenza...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

To properly answer your question:

1. Fork Reactos on github
2. Create a branch in your fork where you commit your changes
3. Create a pull request
4. Wait for merging or do eventually requested changes

You should have correctly configured git with your real name and reactos repo as remote.

For the found bug you should create a JIRA issue

More information about git can be found here: https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_Git_For_Dummies
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

kolle_hond wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 am I'm sorry if this is covered here somewhere, I just couldn't find a proper explanation.
Where/how do I submit a new translation?

My Afrikaans translation is complete for most (80-99%) of the system modules and for some of the applications (20-40%), so it is usable, and I would love it if people could download it, test it and give me feedback.
I have also found a display issue, as the letter "ê" displays as a box in basically all menus (It is part of the translation for "File", so everywhere you would click "File" on the menu). Anyone know if this is a known issue, or if I should log a new JIRA ticket?
Translating is amazing, maybe, if you don't like to use git, you always can submit a patch to a jira report and wait for someone to merge it on head
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Julcar wrote:Translating is amazing, maybe, if you don't like to use git, you always can submit a patch to a jira report and wait for someone to merge it on head
I'd beg to differ. Nowadays JIRA is only used for bug reports and not for patch submissions like before when ReactOS repository was hosted on a Subversion. You won't expect immediate action by the developers on your patch in JIRA as you see in GitHub.

@kolle_hond: gonzoMD's post should suffice your request. Make sure you do create a GitHub account before proceeding with the steps. Git command lines is a must to understand the basics of Git. TortoiseGit is also a very nice option for total beginners.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
kolle_hond

Post by kolle_hond »

gonzoMD wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:39 pm To properly answer your question:

1. Fork Reactos on github
2. Create a branch in your fork where you commit your changes
3. Create a pull request
4. Wait for merging or do eventually requested changes

You should have correctly configured git with your real name and reactos repo as remote.

For the found bug you should create a JIRA issue

More information about git can be found here: https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_Git_For_Dummies
Thanks, this is really useful.
Note to other first-time users, "pull request" is NOT the same as "git pull". Apologies to the developers who had to point that out to me.
Hopefully I will have my branch in my fork updated with the translations soon.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

kolle_hond wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:43 pmNote to other first-time users, "pull request" is NOT the same as "git pull".
Basically, Pull Request is requesting the repository maintainers to do "git pull" from your branch or fork.

There is also a simple tutorial about Pull Requests: https://reactos.org/wiki/Commiting_Changes
kolle_hond

Post by kolle_hond »

There is still one thing I can't figure out: How do I get the latest updates from reactos:master to write to my fork? Is there a way for the fork to pull the updates automatically?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

kolle_hond wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 am There is still one thing I can't figure out: How do I get the latest updates from reactos:master to write to my fork? Is there a way for the fork to pull the updates automatically?
In your git command-line session:

Code: Select all

git remote -v
<-- allows you to view the list of remote repositories available for syncs. Typically you will find: "origin https://github.com/<your_nickname>/reactos.git" and for example: "upstream https://github.com/reactos/reactos.git"

which means, you will refer to the original reactos:master via the name "upstream" (if nothing of the sort exists in the returned list, please read https://help.github.com/articles/config ... or-a-fork/ ).

Now, when you are in some branch of your fork, run the following commands:

git fetch upstream
git rebase upstream/master
The first command downloads all the new information, and the second one updates your branch with the commits that exist in the upstream/master branch, and then add backs on top your own commits. Then, you need to update your remote fork by doing:

git push --force-with-lease
Alternatively you can try the solution explained at https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork/ , but that one doesn't keep a linear history.