Menu translations

Discuss translation of both ReactOS and the website here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Web Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Menu translations

Post by Z98 »

So I just spent about an hour slowly cleaning up the mess that was the main navigation menu. It's still not done, mainly because of the incompletness of the various translation sets. The one thing that every translator did wrong however was they ADDED new links for their languages instead of using the translate button like they are supposed to. This has two consequences, first is that it significantly clutters up the menus and gets things out of order, and second people were hardcoding links to the translated versions of pages. That can and will break if we ever run into a situation where we need to completely delete a page and start from scratch, especially if we are nuking an English base page. When you translate an existing link, drupal will internally redirect you to a translated version of the page if one exists. If you are creating a new link, you need to keep track of said link to make sure it never changes. I think we can all agree which is less manpower intensive in the long wrong.

For further review: https://www.reactos.org/website-translation
Webunny

Re: Menu translations

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:So I just spent about an hour slowly cleaning up the mess that was the main navigation menu. It's still not done, mainly because of the incompletness of the various translation sets. The one thing that every translator did wrong however was they ADDED new links for their languages instead of using the translate button like they are supposed to. This has two consequences, first is that it significantly clutters up the menus and gets things out of order, and second people were hardcoding links to the translated versions of pages. That can and will break if we ever run into a situation where we need to completely delete a page and start from scratch, especially if we are nuking an English base page. When you translate an existing link, drupal will internally redirect you to a translated version of the page if one exists. If you are creating a new link, you need to keep track of said link to make sure it never changes. I think we can all agree which is less manpower intensive in the long wrong.

I protest. I am a translator as well, and I have never used the 'add' button in the navigation menu. That's why I've been patiently waiting for more than half a year. I have ALWAYS used the translate button, except for the mainpage, which was a special case, and for which I used the link you provided in pm - but which it turned out was wrong.
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

Webunny wrote:
Z98 wrote:So I just spent about an hour slowly cleaning up the mess that was the main navigation menu. It's still not done, mainly because of the incompletness of the various translation sets. The one thing that every translator did wrong however was they ADDED new links for their languages instead of using the translate button like they are supposed to. This has two consequences, first is that it significantly clutters up the menus and gets things out of order, and second people were hardcoding links to the translated versions of pages. That can and will break if we ever run into a situation where we need to completely delete a page and start from scratch, especially if we are nuking an English base page. When you translate an existing link, drupal will internally redirect you to a translated version of the page if one exists. If you are creating a new link, you need to keep track of said link to make sure it never changes. I think we can all agree which is less manpower intensive in the long wrong.

I protest. I am a translator as well, and I have never used the 'add' button in the navigation menu. That's why I've been patiently waiting for more than half a year. I have ALWAYS used the translate button, except for the mainpage, which was a special case, and for which I used the link you provided in pm - but which it turned out was wrong.
You can start the translation with ReactOS CORE.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Since "added new links" does not equate "adding a new node," what I said about translators screwing up has nothing to do with you.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Since "added new links" does not equate "adding a new node," what I said about translators screwing up has nothing to do with you.
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by 'added new links'. Sure, I have made links 'within' the translated texts, like the ones referring to the English wikipedia, I referred to the equivalent of the Dutch wikipedia, which makes sense. But that is no issue, so I doubt you mean that.

For the rest, I always used the translate button. It's not just about the navigationbuttons, thus.

But, you are right: "other" translators screwing up has nothing to do with me. It should have read some or most, though, not 'all'. :ugeek: