A Request for Turkish Translation

Discuss translation of both ReactOS and the website here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Web Team

eersoy93

A Request for Turkish Translation

Post by eersoy93 »

Hi friends! I have a request.

I translating to Turkish with pure Turkish. Pure Turkish isn't equal actual Turkish. I haven't been discuss with Arda Tanrıkulu (ardatan) yesterday night and we arrive at a decision. The decision is separate the Turkish (Turkey) language code to pure Turkish (Turkey) language code and actual Turkish (Turkey) language code. In my opinion, the codes are those should be tr-TR-pure and tr-TR-actual. And in my opinion again, the sublang rules for these should be SUBLANG_TURKISH_PURE and SUBLANG_TURKISH_ACTUAL.

Thanks for replies already now. Happy new years.
Last edited by eersoy93 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
milon

Re: A Request for Turkish Translation

Post by milon »

For those of us who know nothing about Turkish, can you explain the difference between "actual" and "pure" Turkish? I ask because I'm sure Z98 etc will be interested in the answer (unless they are already aware of the difference).
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Also:

Please explain how not to break the main English page when creating translations.

lol. :P
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Note that you still haven't set your translations to review state for me to actually approve them.

With regard to Turkish, there'd have to actually be existing language codes separating the two. If MS and other groups don't make a distinction, we're not about to go it alone.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Note that you still haven't set your translations to review state for me to actually approve them.

With regard to Turkish, there'd have to actually be existing language codes separating the two. If MS and other groups don't make a distinction, we're not about to go it alone.
What? Was that to me? Review state? I only see "View draft, Edit draft, Translate" as tabs. How do I set it in some kind of 'review' state? Since you're the moderator, I thought you could 'review' them whenever and whatever the way you choose.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

When editing a draft, bottom of the page, there's a tab called Publishing Options.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

What Erdem said pure Turkish is Turkish with no loanwords(endorsed by Turkish Langguage Institution), but have no native speakers. Actual Turkish is spoken and written language of general public, education and the press.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

erkinalp wrote:What Erdem said pure Turkish is Turkish with no loanwords(endorsed by Turkish Langguage Institution), but have no native speakers. Actual Turkish is spoken and written language of general public, education and the press.
Yes.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:When editing a draft, bottom of the page, there's a tab called Publishing Options.
Again, a bit confusing though, because if you look at it when it's been made, it says: "Revision state: Published" on all my translated pages.

This translating-mechanism really ain't one of the more user-friendly I must say.

Well, at the bottom there are 3 tabs with 'save' and such. But I guess you're talking about the drop down menu, and one has to choose 'need review'?

I'll do so right now.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

erkinalp wrote:What Erdem said pure Turkish is Turkish with no loanwords(endorsed by Turkish Langguage Institution), but have no native speakers. Actual Turkish is spoken and written language of general public, education and the press.
If nobody speaks the "institution" language, then that institution sucks and should evolve as everyone around did. As another translator I think that each language has this (pure vs. actual version and using loanwords). The "pure" version lives only in old books and archives; the computers should use the "actual" version.

EDIT: fixed a typo
Last edited by Black_Fox on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Actually we can add pure Turkish ("Öztürkçe") as an artificial language like Esperanto or Klingon(translation to both languages found in free software world, but I have never heard pure Turkish translation).
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
milon

Post by milon »

It sounds to me like one is purely academic (so why bother?) while the other (currently existing) is one that will actually see use. What would be the purpose or benefit of having two Turkish translations?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Everything could be added, but are there people dedicated to the cause? ReactOS translation is not an one time effort. There are languages with millions of native speakers, but the translations are not kept in a good state.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It wont be added.
According to MS's Language Identifier List it's non existant and thus won't be added.

Excerpt:
0x041F | Turkish (tr) | 0x1F | LANG_TURKISH | Turkey (TR) | 0x01 | SUBLANG_TURKISH_TURKEY
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

EmuandCo wrote: lol, klingon... Maybe I will make this just for fun when I have some spare time.