Dutch translation

Discuss translation of both ReactOS and the website here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Web Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Dutch translation

Post by Z98 »

What sidebar?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:What sidebar?
The one with 'navigation'. It only says 'add content', not 'translate'.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Menus cannot be translated right now at this point.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Menus cannot be translated right now at this point.
So anyway, what do I do with it, then? It just shows 'add content' now under 'navigation'; is that the way to 'translate' the 'home' (etc.) tab?

btw, z98, isn't it time for another newsletter? Been a (very long) while...

Also: is the newsletter-archive working? Whenever I click on the link, it gives a blank page...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You don't do anything. That is not something to translate. And it looks like newsletter-archive is broken, again. As for a new newsletter, I refer you to the opening of the Monstera blog entry.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:You don't do anything. That is not something to translate. And it looks like newsletter-archive is broken, again. As for a new newsletter, I refer you to the opening of the Monstera blog entry.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

When you go to the dutch mainpage now, you see *nothing* under 'navigation' (no 'home' nor 'info', nor 'community' etc.)

When you go to the french-translated part, or the german-translated part, you properly see those tabs/links translated in French and German ('accueil' and 'startseite', etc). So clearly, there must be a way to translate them. But I only see a tab 'add content' under the heading 'navigation'.

If it is 'not something to translate', then logically, it shouldn't have been something to translate in French or German neither. But it IS translated. Ergo, it must be possible to translate it in Dutch too. My question now is: how does one translate this in Dutch?

I can't make it any more clear than that.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Maybe I should refrase that, since I have the impression that it's not getting through in regard to 'what I can do or not'...

Let's ask it this way: what has to be done (by whomever) so that the links/tabs like 'home' and 'info' and 'community' etc. get to be translated, just as they are with the German and French translation?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Now that I understand what you're referring to, I'll get back to you probably tomorrow. Right now I'm going to go sleep.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Now that I understand what you're referring to, I'll get back to you probably tomorrow. Right now I'm going to go sleep.
No prob.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Now that I understand what you're referring to, I'll get back to you probably tomorrow. Right now I'm going to go sleep.

Must be a beauty sleep. ;-p
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

z98, not that I want to triple post, but is there any news on that front?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Webunny wrote:
Got a bit tired waiting, so I put up the mainpage for review. The (translation of the) menu/side bar on the left will be for later, then, I guess.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Webunny wrote:
Webunny wrote:
Got a bit tired waiting, so I put up the mainpage for review. The (translation of the) menu/side bar on the left will be for later, then, I guess.
I see that the main page finally got published and is 'viewable': thanks.

However, it seems you used the first draft, because there are errors in there that I thought I corrected. Or maybe I didn't save the second draft correctly? Anyway, made yet another draft of it, with all the corrections in it, so the latest draft should be the best one and replace the one that's on there now.

Note that I don't seem to be able to just 'translate' that page, since it has no translation tab?? (I already said this before, but the translation thingy really isn't intuitive or user-friendly. No wonder you guys are all so worried someone might botch it up). What I had to do, thus, was create an entirely new draft of it...but without the underlying text, it's not editing, it's completely rewriting, including the html-code, which you can't copy when seeing it in plain text! Quite some work there, thus.

And while we're on it...do the pages I translate(d) revert to 'draft' after a while? Or does it revert because it needs improvement (one could at least say something, then), because...well, I first thought I maybe forget to place a page under 'review' and left it at 'draft'...but I've found 3 such pages by now, and I'm pretty sure I didn't overlook 3 pages. Which means I put it on 'review' months ago, and now it's back into 'draft'. Is this automatic? Deliberate? Due to a reset or update of the system, mayhaps?

Also...while the main page is visible now, it still lacks the links on the sidebar under 'navigation'. I've repeatedly asked about this, but I haven't gotten a clear answer as yet. It's my impression that I just need to use the 'add content' link/tab on there. If you just could confirm that, I could make the finishing touch...

As a last but minor detail: there isn't a little flag there as yet. Mind: Dutch isn't spoken in The Netherlands alone, but also in Belgium, so you could either place a little Belgian flag there, or the one of the Netherlands.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

So...any word on this?:

[ external image ]

Can I use the 'add content' button there, yes or no?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Maybe it's still not clear what I'm talking about or what the problem exactly is. It's not merely what *I* can see when translating, but rather what others (regular visitors) CAN NOT see when they go to that page. Let me show you what they see:

[ external image ]

Note that they don't see ANYTHING under 'navigation', except for 'jobs'. All the rest isn't there. So how are they supposed to be browsing through the site?

I mean, c'mon guys, it can't be THAT difficult. Just place the damn buttons there yourself, if you don't know what or how to fix things so I can do it. And I know you're short-handed and IGG was there and all that, but... did you see when I first talked about it? The post shows "by Webunny » 20 Jan 2014 20:34"....we're now 20 July 2014...

It's been a half year, for Christ's' sake!