Dutch translation

Discuss translation of both ReactOS and the website here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Web Team

Webunny

Dutch translation

Post by Webunny »

So, how about it? As I said here: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12396 , I'm willing to do the Dutch translation of the site (I'm only talking about the site for now, not translating stuff in ROS itself). As I've pointed out there, as a general 'token' to ROS, I've already done several things (including testing). As a more specific language oriented 'token', I'll refer you to http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3709 , where I translated your page into Dutch, thereby establishing that I'm well suited and capable for translating English into Dutch.

Now, why not give it a try, then? If you're not satisfied after a month, you can always revoke my translation-rights...
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Dutch translation

Post by Z98 »

Please explain how not to break the main English page when creating translations.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Please explain how not to break the main English page when creating translations.
By not clicking on the edit tab, ever, and only clicking on the Translations tab, ma'am. I mean, sir. :?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You now have translation access. If you ever manage to botch an English original, you will have to write a 500 word essay on how not to repeat the mistake before you get translator access back.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Z98 wrote:You now have translation access. If you ever manage to botch an English original, you will have to write a 500 word essay on how not to repeat the mistake before you get translator access back.
[ external image ]
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

I must say in all honesty, z98, the translation-mechanics suck ass. There is no way of 'returning' to a former action? You know, like a 'redo'-arrow? If you go back too far with a link in rich text, you loose the link (in the end I preferred to see/translate it in html-code visible). Moreover, when I re-read it and made some slight adaptations and changes afterwards, it said 'a dutch page already exists', but when I went looking at it, it said no translation were made yet.

Ermm...why not simply let me overwrite my own page?

Also, normal paste/copy didn't work; I had to use ctrl-c, ctrl-v the whole time.

I mean, it's full of such little (and big) annoying things that don't let you make and change the text in an easy way. I would really suggest to have a more 'wiki-esque' approach to translating the website. At least that way, you can easily edit and change it without much hassle.

Edit:

...confusing as hell...

Look, I know it's said 'never' to click on 'edit', but that's at the start, right? I mean, surely I can click 'edit draft'....right? You know, to...edit my draft?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Correct, you can edit your own draft. That system was put in place to prevent people from publishing changes without oversight, as happened a few too many times in the early days. Right now none of your changes will go through until I approve them. Once you've demonstrated you know what you're doing, your permissions get elevated.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Correct, you can edit your own draft. That system was put in place to prevent people from publishing changes without oversight, as happened a few too many times in the early days. Right now none of your changes will go through until I approve them. Once you've demonstrated you know what you're doing, your permissions get elevated.
It seems to me there are pages which I just can't seem to translate (no translation tab appears): is that a bug or a feature? 8-)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

z98; any news on this front? Many pages don't show up the 'translate' tab and I've done all the ones that did, I think.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I thought I already responded, but apparently not.

There are certain pages that are intentionally set as untranslatable because the project explicitly decided that they should only be in English/original language (mostly English but there's a few exceptions).
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:I thought I already responded, but apparently not.

There are certain pages that are intentionally set as untranslatable because the project explicitly decided that they should only be in English/original language (mostly English but there's a few exceptions).
With all due respect, z98, but it's been quite some time now since I translated them. Why isn't it still not viewable?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Because I was on vacation?

Addendum: You need to set your drafts to needs review before I can change them to published.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Because I was on vacation?

Addendum: You need to set your drafts to needs review before I can change them to published.
Done since a week or two or so.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Changed to published. Sent you a manual link for translating the front page due to the weird way it's set up.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Changed to published. Sent you a manual link for translating the front page due to the weird way it's set up.

Done.

Though I'm not quite sure aboout the side-bar (which doesn't show anything anymore). Is it meant to be 'translated' by me too, and do I have to do that with 'add content' under the 'navigation' tab? (because you used to say I can only use the 'translate' tab.