0.3.13 -- VirtualBox -- USB

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

LaneLester

0.3.13 -- VirtualBox -- USB

Post by LaneLester » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Should I have USB support in the ReactOS 0.3.13 I have running in VirtualBox? Both my keyboard and mouse are USB, and neither of them seem to be working.

ReactOS booted completely, it seemed. I just had no way to do any input.

Lane

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: 0.3.13 -- VirtualBox -- USB

Post by EmuandCo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:17 pm

You should fully disable USB in vbox right now ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 pm

I can't find any way to do that in the Settings.

Lane

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 am

LaneLester wrote:
I can't find any way to do that in the Settings.

Lane
Click on the VM, then at the right side there is a tab called "Details" and several options:
"general","system","Display","Storage","Sound"..."USB" and "Shared folders"
Select USB and then a new window will popup:Just "Disable USB" in it.
:)

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 am

Click on the VM, then at the right side there is a tab called "Details" and several options:
"general","system","Display","Storage","Sound"..."USB" and "Shared folders"
Select USB and then a new window will popup:Just "Disable USB" in it.
OK, I'm beginning to think I may know part of the problem, anyway. There is no "USB" there with all the other things, either with the ReactOS VM or the Win XP machine. And yet I remember it being there at one time.

I wonder if it's because, in the past I used the Sun version of VirtualBox, and I see I'm now running the OSE version.

I'm going to see if I can get the Sun... or whoever owns it now... version and compare.

Lane

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 am

The new oracle ones have it too
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:06 pm

The new oracle ones have it too
Thank you. Yes, I just installed the Oracle 4.x version, and the USB option is there. Regretfully, with it disabled or enabled, I don't have USB mouse control in 0.3.13. I don't think I have USB keyboard input, either.

Lane

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir » Thu May 12, 2011 2:54 pm

LaneLester wrote:Should I have USB support in the ReactOS 0.3.13 I have running in VirtualBox? Both my keyboard and mouse are USB
I assume you are talking about your HOST mouse and keyboard. If so, it doesnt mind, since VirtualBox takes those as PS/2 devices. So problem should be somewhere else.....

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester » Thu May 12, 2011 3:18 pm

I assume you are talking about your HOST mouse and keyboard. If so, it doesnt mind, since VirtualBox takes those as PS/2 devices. So problem should be somewhere else.....
Yes, I'm talking about the real mouse and keyboard. Thanks for the information that it's probably not a USB problem. OTOH, since these devices work fine in Win XP in VirtualBox, it is still a ReactOS problem.

Lane

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi » Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Yes, I'm talking about the real mouse and keyboard. Thanks for the information that it's probably not a USB problem. OTOH, since these devices work fine in Win XP in VirtualBox, it is still a ReactOS problem.
I think this is related to USB, otherwise you'd be the fist person I meet that has problems with the mouse in VirtualBox, you could try downloading one of the latest revisions from getbuilds and see if it works, if you still have problems you'd need to grab the debuglog to see why it's failing (follow my signature for instructions).

bugboy
Developer

Post by bugboy » Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Yes try a recent build, there was a bug that was related to this issue, iirc fixed after 0.3.13.

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester » Thu May 12, 2011 3:56 pm

you could try downloading one of the latest revisions from getbuilds and see if it works, if you still have problems you'd need to grab the debuglog to see why it's failing (follow my signature for instructions).
Glad to do it. It's interesting that the most recent SVN item, 51684, there is called "usb-bringup."

If I use an SVN release I assume I need to compile all the stuff in /branches/usb-bringup. I have very mixed success at compiling; there's usually something missing on my system, but I can't figure out how to get it.

It would take a very long time to download all the files and folders separately. Is there an archive file?

Or should I use one of these builds instead:

Code: Select all

bootcd-40894-dbg.7z	2009-May-12 09:28:14	30.1M	application/x-7z-compressed
livecd-46592-dbg.7z	2011-Feb-27 17:25:22	19.4M	application/x-7z-compressed
If so, would one be better than the other for a VirtualBox installation?
Lane

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi » Thu May 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Regretfully getbuilds reports the last svn revision, that means that all branches are accounted, this is not the desired behavior as branches are not built automatically. In short, simply use the arrows from getbuilds to see which was the latest revision built (at the moment it's 51682). So, download the debug version and install it.

LaneLester

Post by LaneLester » Thu May 12, 2011 5:35 pm

So, download the debug version and install it.
I did that from your link, and I appreciate your providing it.

I'm delighted to report that both my USB keyboard and mouse are working perfectly in ReactOS.

As time permits, I'll be testing more features of this exciting project.

Lane