ReactOS on VirtualBox

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

w1zard

ReactOS on VirtualBox

Post by w1zard »

Hi everyone!

I've just downloaded the pre-baked VirtualBox image of ReactOS - on the latest version, you cannot import the machine into VirtualBox because of a Manifest file error. Deleting the manifest file fixes this, but it had me stumped for a while - maybe someone could look into this?

My real question is about the recommended way of moving files in and out of the virtual machine? I can see there is no USB support, and there doesn't seem to be network support - can someone point me in the direction of a wiki on how this is done? Maybe mounting an extra partition on both host and guest?

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS on VirtualBox

Post by EmuandCo »

Then you misconfigured vbox. Reactos has network support in vbox by default. Host system is which? Maybe we can find your problem
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
w1zard

Post by w1zard »

I'm using a Win7 64bit host. Networking is enabled (NAT). The reason I assumed network was incomplete is because the automatic persistent mapping of a shared folder between host/guest did not work, and the 'Map Network Drive' was not in the usual place is it in WinXP.

Networking is working okay on the other VMs on VirtualBox - do I simply use the \\servername\share in ReactOS as in Windows?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Better question to ask is if we have shared network driver support. I personally am not aware of any work having been completed on it.
w1zard

Post by w1zard »

Okay, thanks :)

Is there another way of moving files on/off the virtual machine running ReactOS when using VirtualBox? Perhaps mounting another shared volume?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

w1zard wrote:Okay, thanks :)

Is there another way of moving files on/off the virtual machine running ReactOS when using VirtualBox? Perhaps mounting another shared volume?
Put the files in an ISO and just attach to the VM (so you can access them in ReactOS)
To move files out of the ReactOS, then mount the virtual harddisk ( I use WinMount but it is not free)
janl

Post by janl »

Does work this?
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.h ... redfolders

I have not tried it yet.
w1zard

Post by w1zard »

Thank you for the suggestions :)
Does work this?
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.h ... redfolders

I have not tried it yet.
The sharing of folders works in VirtualBox, but I cannot mount them in ReactOS using the normal NET USE command - I get this:

Code: Select all

This command is not implemented yet.
I assume the networking support that makes this work is not complete yet.
Put the files in an ISO and just attach to the VM (so you can access them in ReactOS)
To move files out of the ReactOS, then mount the virtual harddisk ( I use WinMount but it is not free)
That sounds like a great way to do it - does Winmount have support for VirtualBox disk files natively? I couldn't see it on their list of supported formats. I'll happily buy it if it works :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

w1zard wrote: To move files out of the ReactOS, then mount the virtual harddisk ( I use WinMount but it is not free)
Yes WinMount is able to open VBOX virtual harddisks. It will mount it as a " Z: " drive, so you can put files into or extract anything from inside. It will open as a "Read ONLY" so be sure to uncheck it when mounting. You can not mount while the VM is on, and you can't run the VM if the harddisk is still mounted by WinMount :)
It is quite fast and reliable, but the problem is that WinMount is not free at all.
w1zard

Post by w1zard »

Yes WinMount is able to open VBOX virtual harddisks. It will mount it as a " Z: " drive, so you can put files into or extract anything from inside. It will open as a "Read ONLY" so be sure to uncheck it when mounting. You can not mount while the VM is on, and you can't run the VM if the harddisk is still mounted by WinMount
It is quite fast and reliable, but the problem is that WinMount is not free at all.
Thanks vicmarcal, you've been really helpful. I'll take a look at WinMount, it sound like it will be very useful. For the time being I managed to use an ISO to get the files onto the virtual machine - I used the free and open source DoISO, which worked great. For anyone else needing to do this for free, it can be downloaded here:

http://opensource.ebswift.com/DoISO/