Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

FAQ questions. Solution for 99% doubts/issues

Post by vicmarcal »

[It will be updated.Send your FAQs + answers via PM and i will add them too.]

RELATED TO FORUM

Where is the EDIT button? I can't EDIT my posts!

ReactOS forum has a known bug with the EDIT button. Just follow these easy steps and you will have your EDIT button forever:
1)At the Left is the "Account" Menu, click on "User Control Panel".
2)There select the "Board Preferences"Tab.
3)Then click "Submit" without changing anything.(If "Hide online status" is ON, turn it OFF)
4)Now you should see the "Edit option" in your posts ;)

RELATED TO REACTOS

Is ReactOS able to run Windows apps and Windows drivers?

Yes. ReactOS is able to load Windows apps and Windows drivers without hacking them. Remember: we are still in the Alpha stage so we have a big walk until reaching these objectives.
You can visit our Software and Hardware Compatibility databases to know which Drivers and Apps are compatible with the latest ReactOS version.

My mouse/keyboard/pendrive/external HDD are not working!

ReactOS doesn't have USB support (yet), so forget about devices that use USB plugs. No, your pendrive won't work.

Can I install ReactOS from a pendrive/stick?

There is no known way to install ReactOS from pendrive/stick. Any method relies in ReactOS installing itself, so it needs USB support to accomplish the task. ReactOS doesn't have USB support so:
- Use a CD-RW instead, or a normal CD :)

My screen turns black when loading ReactOS. I don't see anything.

It seems your video card is not yet compatible with ReactOS, search our Hardware Compatibility Database to find a compatible one. Also report yours as not compatible, it will help others. Share your findings!

Does ReactOS support Ext2/Ext3/NTFS?

- ReactOS currently only supports FAT filesystems including FATx(Xbox variation of FAT).
- Once cache manager rewrite is finished there will be a push to make ext2 support available.
- Some day, when ReactOS can handle it (kernel) we could use the NTFS driver from windows, but ReactOS will never recommend this for various legal reasons. Some time after that someone WILL write a true NTFS driver for ReactOS, whether it's an adaptation of a Linux one (unlikely) or a written from scratch using stuff out there as references.

Does ReactOS have a POSIX subsystem?

- We currently don't have a POSIX subsystem. Well, we have one but it's broken and it's not a priority in terms of compatibility. After all, we're trying to run Windows programs here, not POSIX programs.
- Think first: ReactOS should be stable and support a good deal of windows apps. Then worry about POSIX/*NIX, Mac, WinCe, OS/2, RiscOS, whatever else...

Does ReactOS work in PPC ,x64 or ARM processors/?

- ReactOS currently works only in x86 based computers
- ReactOS will work on ARM some day soon, there is some serious work going on to accomplish this...
- ReactOS will run on x64 based computers, but only in x86 mode. (Someday soon some one will make us x64 compatible and if you want us to hurry this up, get the people who write our tools to develop a system that can properly build to x64)
- Someday ReactOS will work on other processors/architectures. But we currently don't have the man power to port to 20 different architectures...
- x86, x64, ARM and PPC represent the majority of processors out there.

I inserted the Installation CD but the installation doesn't begin.
Modified following hto suggestions.Thanks

Maybe your CD/DVD is a SATA device that Uniata doesn't support yet. (So neither ReactOS).
If your CD/DVD is ATA then try the next trick:

OPTIONAL STEP( backing up):
1)Back up uniata.sys as uniataB_UP.sys.
2)Back up atapi.sys as atapiB_UP.sys

REPLACING
3)Rename uniata.sys to atapi2.sys
4)Rename atapi.sys to uniata.sys
5)Rename atapi2.sys to atapi.sys

If you mess the files/get lost when replacing, you can use the backep up files from the Optional Step.

The installation hangs or hangs before reaching the Desktop

Try the "I inserted the Installation CD but the installation doesn't begin" trick if your HDD is an ATA device. Remember that trick doesn't work at all with SATA devices.

When is 0.4 appearing? And Beta? And 1.0? And 123.0? And...

It depends. We need Devs and Testers (Coordinated Testers).
Last statistic says 99.99% of the forum users who ask these questions has never helped in a Coordinated Testing. So stop asking and use that time to help us ;) , if you want it asap then contribute a little. Money is appreciated but testing is much more useful at current stage.

We perform several Coordinated Testings via IRC. Join them and you will discover the feelings of being part of the Community, not just part of the Forum.

Why there is no Roadmap?

An OS covers a wide area of knowledge, it is not an App, it is a whole,-in-the-way-to-become-awesome OS.
So we need devs from all the areas, it's not easy to find skilled devs, and also they are not paid, they have their real-life-work, families and problems. So no, we can't press them to work in a particular area. We can just thank them for dedicating some time to make this OS become a reality.

ReactOS desktop looks quite old! Why don't you create a new explorer.exe?

ReactOS is an Alpha Operating System. Currently our devs have other tasks in our TODO list, as Improving software and hardware compatibility, that must be completed first. Anyway, we have a branch where a explorer-new.exe is being developed. Currently its development is stopped due to unimplemented COM/OLE background code which is needed to make it work.
There are alternative Shells out there, when ReactOS is compatible enough it will be able to load them. Also an Italian dev (Dax) is developing an alternative explorer (currently unofficial) that seems to be a nice replacement. It is written in C++, so if you want to help its development just download the sources and play with it.

About the shell: Why don't you add KDE4 to ReactOS ?

- KDE 4 is gonna run on Windows. But that has nothing to do with ReactOS. We do not need nor do we want to have KDE4 within the source repository. Alternative shells fall under the "user installable and not needed for compatibility" category and thus will not be included.
- We are alpha software, ReactOS can barely boot at times, we are not going to release "distros" any time soon. So no custom GUIs with KDE 4 or whatever else... Feel free to make your own if you want, but the dev team will not do so.
- ReactOS Explorer is the default shell, this will not change anytime soon. And any change to its coding will not dramatically change the way it looks either.
- We appreciate your suggestions about icons, themes, fonts and all that jazz... ReactOS doesn't have theme support, the default "theme" is going to stay there for some time. (ALWAYS use the design forum for these suggestions).

I don't know how to code... How can I help?

We are always testing something. Just come to IRC and ask for something to be tested. We will give you some RosWork accordingly to your skills.
The "I don't know how to code" is the preferred excuse followed by the "I don't have time" or "Each time I test ReactOS god kills a kitty".

I know how to code.... How can I help?

If you are a Dev, then join IRC and ask any doubts about our code, find a place in ReactOS to work, you can select any, but first contact and tell us. Maybe other Devs are currently working in that particular area.
"Less time wasted when efforts coordinated!"-Yoda said.

I don't know how to code but I want to learn. How?

Study C, C++, WinAPI, then read books as "Windows Internals" and/or "Operating System Concepts".
Come and ask us. For C and C++ questions you have the C and C++ irc channels, they will solve your doubts much faster.
Last edited by Saibamen on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Announce
gonzoMD

Re: FAQ questions. Solution for 99% doubts/issues

Post by gonzoMD »

great, should be sticky.
larryisdoc

Post by larryisdoc »

I am not very smart as I only have a 8th grade ED and am 62 years of age and have a termanal
Illness so my ? is there any thing I can help with I think you guys are doing a great job on somthing
that can be very helpful to so many who cant afford a windows OS
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

larryisdoc wrote:I am not very smart as I only have a 8th grade ED and am 62 years of age and have a termanal
Illness so my ? is there any thing I can help with I think you guys are doing a great job on somthing
that can be very helpful to so many who cant afford a windows OS
Maybe better if you open a new topic, so we can answer you better, anyway you can help us a lot:
- We need coordinated testers, which means we need people that help us testing in a coordinated way.
To join our testing come to the IRC channels. Find me or any dev, we are some, and ask us what to test, everyday we have different needs so testing is not boring but different :)
-We need coordinated translators.
-We need coordinated designers.
-We need coordinated developers.
-We need coordinated bloggers

To find your place just come and join the IRC channels. See you there :)
timur

Post by timur »

Please update http://www.reactos.org/en/about_userfaq.html with this.
It took me a while to see that Reactos can't be run from Usb.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well we have a forum search. You just need to search for USB and there it is...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

People are too lazy to use forum search.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, to be absolutely honest... If they are to lazy then they should not be here ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

EmuandCo wrote:Well we have a forum search. You just need to search for USB and there it is...
Yes, but one thing that is not obvious is that the poorly implemented USB code that exists won't let the machine boot under real hardware unless you disable USB support (preferably all of it) in the CMOS. On many systems, enabling 2.0 support causes hangs (with usbdriver.sys being the last to attempt to load), and even having legacy support enabled (regardless of mouse or keyboard type used) causes the mouse to misbehave and work erratically. This even happens with PS2 stuff, if BIOS legacy support is enabled at all. I filed a bug report on the issue and was chastised for posting a duplicate bug report. Yes, I should have searched for bugs first before filing. But I recently paid attention to the driver that was hanging the system and out of curiosity disabled USB features and was able to get in. I found I had to completely disable it so I could use Reactos.

So I think these 2 things should be on the list, both the USB 2.0 bug that causes ROS to crash while booting, and the legacy USB bug which messes up unrelated input devices (PS2 mice, eg).
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

PurpleGurl wrote:So I think these 2 things should be on the list, both the USB 2.0 bug that causes ROS to crash while booting, and the legacy USB bug which messes up unrelated input devices (PS2 mice, eg).
Not needed anymore since 52361, the driver has been removed from the CD. USB support will be added from the new branch once it's ready.
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

Move to Announcements
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator
Janice100

Post by Janice100 »

I have the problem that I'm trying to install ReactOS from my flashdrive. I use it so often without much thought so I can't figure out why it's not working. But ahh...I see now, I need to do it from a CD instead. Which is fine, I'll try that now. Thanks a lot. ;)
anakbaru

Post by anakbaru »

Ill just see the title solution and i Send a suggest :

1. I think reactos need more promotion, sometimes i ll help promote this OS to people because so many unknown about this OS & may be not much help.
2. try use bit.ly or something like that to get a money (maybe not much)
3. more account of bank for donate money and can accept others currency.
4. about the product why not try make a jacket, shirt, sticker (for a sticker with a minimal buy) with reactos logo.
5. sometime i dreams, a manufacturers notebook sell the new notebook with Reactos OS, for now on market still use freedos / linux.

hahaha... maybe its not good idea

sorry if my sentence wrong.
Jalmari

Post by Jalmari »

I haven't seen any activity here for a long time. Please tell me this isn't dying!
Design is my passion
middings

Post by middings »

RELATED TO JIRA (BUGTRACKER)

My new ReactOS log in credentials (user ID and password) won't let me log in to JIRA. What do I do? I can log in to the ReactOS.org Forum and Wiki but not to JIRA. Do I need different credentials to log in to JIRA? I changed my paswword on ReactOS.org, but Jira still needs the old password.

The same log in credentials are good for the entire ReactOS.org site. However, several hours may pass before newly created/updated credentials propagate to all the ReactOS.org servers. Propagation may take up to 6 hours. Beyond that point, contact a systems administrator, something might be wrong with your account.
Last edited by Heis Spiter on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 48h delay is non sense. Also applied to password changing.