Moderator: Moderator Team

artamb

Problems in Making a REACTOS Distro

Post by artamb » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:54 pm

Greetings:

I have been working on making my own distro of ReactOS. I have
made some progress on 0.2.5 & 0.2.6 but when I upgrade my
source code to 0.2.7 with my edits something broke and I can't find it
and the documentation with 0.2.7 (in respect of making a ReactOS distro) is not there.

This is what I am trying to do (this works on earlier versions)

\reactos changed to \mecha-os
\Documents and settings changed to \profiles
\program files changed to \applications

If some could point me to all the files that need to be changed in 0.2.7
that would help. I spent hours searching the source code and even using wingrep to find the edits and I am missing something.

thanks for the help :!:

Sarocet

I answer... and try the forum ;)

Post by Sarocet » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:45 pm

This is an important problem, as we MUST be able to change the name of this folders (in translations, Documents and settings an Program files, should change, at least, although windows haven't translated 'Documents and settings').
And of course the user should be able to install ReactOS on whatever other folder it wants to :D

artamb

I agree and my you see my problem

Post by artamb » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:05 pm

I agree with you and now you see my problem, some where in the code
some programmer or a group of programmers some how hard coded some where those folders because I changed every where where I can find those folders in the source code and the system will not even compile, and in very few attempts that it did compile will not install. And this is only seen in ver 0.2.7

GvG

Post by GvG » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:55 am

I'm working from memory here, so I'm not 100% sure it is correct.
The paths are not hardcoded, they are stored in the registry. The defaults however are hardcoded (and I don't think there's a way around that). I believe they are in lib/shell32. You can't just search for "Program Files" there, the files in that dir are shared with Wine. Since Wine needs to be cross-platform, it's not possible to use a Unicode string like L"Program Files", you have to declare a WCHAR array and initialize that like 'P','r','o','g'....

artamb

Post by artamb » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:36 pm

I went into lib/shell32 to change the variables and liek I said that works in the older versions of ROS. But with 0.2.7 something significant had to change, because the system now crashes when those same edits that work in 0.2.6 are made in 0.2.7. I went to WINE homepage as well as do another search on the ROS webpage and can't find any documentation to help me make this work. What I find really weird, that if the changes are made after the OS installs and about 1500 registry edits are made with a reboot everything works, but the key mission is to have all those changes as part ofthe initial install.