old react os mouse drivers in new react os

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

NEW2ROS

old react os mouse drivers in new react os

Post by NEW2ROS » Sun May 30, 2010 3:13 pm

This is a "CAN IT BE DONE?" Question
Can i use old react os mouse drivers

i have 3 react os cds the new one and its live cd and an old 2004 install cd of react os
i want to use the old react os 2004 mouse drivers because they work better on my mouse
Will they work or will they crash on the new react os

And can i just copy and paste the mouse drivers

or is it less simple and i have to install them or change settings and registry

I want to do this because they work better on my pc

witch files are the mouse drivers

Can it be not done?
Can it be done?
How?

Haos
Test Team

Re: old react os mouse drivers in new react os

Post by Haos » Sun May 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Its hard to do. Year 2004 means revisions numbers 3-5k. We dont have binaries/iso files from that time. You would have to check their sources from svn, install the GCC that was used back then (you could try on GCC 3.4.5 but i have no idea if its gonna work....) then replace the files in ISO.

Now, you are talking about mouse drivers, but we dont really know what is wrong in your case. You say they worked better, but that doesnt describe any problem you have with the current ones. Last but not least, there are not also drivers, but other components that are co-working here. Since that time plenty has changed, so even if you succeed in building those older drivers, i seriously doubt that they'd work at all, if not crash the system. You would also need those other components, which would create even more problems (bus driver changed a lot in the meantime). Not to mention that kernel changed even more.

To sum up, its madness. It wont work. Its a waste of time. Both you and ReactOS would profit, if you spend the fraction of the time necessary here, to work with our devs in rooting your problems out from the current version of ReactOS. You'd need to describe your problem in detail, possibly run some regression tests to see when might it happen, finally, also build your own reactos iso with necessary debug logging enabled. In the end, the result would be way more possible and would benefit from the future.

If you still want to push on building and testing the old driver, you are free to do it.

NEW2ROS

Post by NEW2ROS » Sun May 30, 2010 6:02 pm

i HAVE A 2004 REACT OS CD
MY PROBLEM IS THE MOUSE IS VERY SLOW ON MY PC WITH NEW REACT OS BUT WORKS PERFECT WITH OLD 2004 REACT OS

the 2004 react os is bad compared to the 2009 and 2010

the new react os runs better on my pc
But mouse is very slow

I think that using the part of react os 2004 that handles the mouse
with the new react os
would solve this

witch file is the mouse driver file or files

are they in
\reactos\system32
\reactos\system32\drivers

or can i use
windows nt4,2000,xp,9x,7 or virusta
mouse drivers

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun May 30, 2010 8:25 pm

I am quite sure that it wont work. Furthermore I dont think the mouse drivers are the reason for being slower. ReactOS went more mature and bigger in this period and thus needs more resources.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.