Elementary questions!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

syneanth

Elementary questions!

Post by syneanth »

Hi everyone. I'm a newcomer to ReactOS, I am an average PC user and my questions are the folowing:

1. If I want to install ReactOS on a currently Windows XP hard disk with more partitions... can I delete those partitions from ReactOS's bootable disk process and then proceed with new (just like normal Windows re-install) or should I use other software?

2. I have an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core and an ATI 2600 XT video card. Will my newly installed ReactOS work fine on my system?

3. Does ReactOS support Microsoft Office package? What about Open Office package?

4. Will I be able to share files via LAN with other PC-s nearby? (case A: those other PC-s run on Windows; case B: those other PC-s run on ReactOS; case C: those other PC-s run on other operating systems)

(Yes, I am aware that ReactOS is still in alpha stage and not yet recommended for main use but I am just evaluating options...)

Thanks for any support. I apologize if my approach seems sloppy but as I said, I'm not an advanced user. Any "enlightening" will be most helpful. All the best to you.

wojo664

Re: Elementary questions!

Post by wojo664 »

1. Better delete the partitions from WIN XP CD Installer. That is the most safe method. Also NTFS is currently unsupported. Fat only (System now recognizes Linux file system, but there is no option to select it).

2. Propably with USB's turned on it will hang somewhere, but testing is the best way to see what happens on specific hardware. If You can, make as many debug logs as You can.

3. Currently Abi Word in my opinion runs the best. Open Office will also run (I think) but Microsoft Office... I think it's too early for that. (Depends what version You will try to run on ROS)

4. Main tcp/ip protocol seems to work good. Winsock is in implementing progress as far as I saw on CIA (The place where You can track developement progress) Talking about LAN... To be honest I don't know that, because I don't tested it.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

1. No, use another tool. Moreover, do not delete XP to replace it with ReactOS. If you REALLY need to test it on your hardware, i`d use another HDD. ReactOS is not ready for production use and it might simply fail to install.

2. I have doubts.If your machine has no serial port, you wont capture any debug logs off it and running ROS on real hardware without debug logging is pointless.

3. MS Office - no. Open Office did work a bit in the past, dunno how it looks at the present moment.

4. No, our GUI lacks necessary code. You could try installing Win32 version of Samba, but network stack in trunk is able to do only basic things. There is a rewrite outgoing, that will hopefully fix many problems, network sharing on Samba as well.

syneanth

Post by syneanth »

Hi again. Thanks for the replies.

Ok, so here's what I did:

I used an old HDD and replaced it in my current system. It had an only partition anyway so I Installed no problem ReactOS on it. The instalation process went very smoothly and fast. About 5 minutes or so.

I waz amazed by the features the devs could implement! The text editor is similar to Windows's Wordpad and then Paint, Solitaire (lol) and also an image viewer...

By the way, there was a problem - right after the installation and os start, ReactOS prompted me about installing some drivers. First I chose to automatically install drivers but when it errored (normally, right?), I just canceled the driver stuff...

But I should have inserted the motherboard disc and install drivers at that point, right? That way I could have accessed both USB stick and Network and other stuff, right? Because I had no acces to any network or USB...

Thing is I was able to read PDF documents! I use Foxit Reader. I tried to install Foxit just like in Windows but then a non-install interface appeared and I was able to open any PDF file from its menu without having to install Foxit! Wow!!!

Then I tried installing SMPlayer but cause of no Internet connection, the process failed. Instead, I was able to run VLC Player and WinRar!!!
I could open movie files (no sound and no control except Pause though...:() and archived a new Worpad file previously created.

Couldn't try installing MS Word or Open Office because I had none available at the moment. Maybe some other time I'll be able to provide some feed-back on this area.

Anyway, it is just great. Wish the devs keep up the good work and tweak the basics first: USB recognition, Internet and Network, sound...

Thanks again and have a great day!

wojo664

Post by wojo664 »

Could You give us Your system specifications? Type of Your motherboard, What expansion cards are installed in the computer and so on. Just every singledetail You can get about thic computer. And what is the revision number?
First I chose to automatically install drivers but when it errored (normally, right?), I just canceled the driver stuff...

It's normal.
But I should have inserted the motherboard disc and install drivers at that point, right? That way I could have accessed both USB stick and Network and other stuff, right? Because I had no acces to any network or USB...
No, USB will not work even with the drivers. Currently only USB devices that are most propable to work are mouses and keyboards (If specific option is selected in BIOS, i can't remember it's name...).

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

syneanth wrote:I used an old HDD and replaced it in my current system. It had an only partition anyway so I Installed no problem ReactOS on it. The instalation process went very smoothly and fast. About 5 minutes or so.
Quite an old hardware, it takes below minute on my VM.
syneanth wrote:By the way, there was a problem - right after the installation and os start, ReactOS prompted me about installing some drivers. First I chose to automatically install drivers but when it errored (normally, right?), I just canceled the driver stuff...
As i written before, you need to provide drivers for your hardware.
syneanth wrote:But I should have inserted the motherboard disc and install drivers at that point, right? That way I could have accessed both USB stick and Network and other stuff, right? Because I had no access to any network or USB...
For networking you need a driver, USB is currently not implemented, but some works are being done. I usually feed them on CD or directly on ROS HDD's other partition.
syneanth wrote:Thing is I was able to read PDF documents! I use Foxit Reader. I tried to install Foxit just like in Windows but then a non-install interface appeared and I was able to open any PDF file from its menu without having to install Foxit! Wow!!!
Its actually a bug with newer Foxit reader. Install executable extracts several files, google toolbar, some dlls, Foxit main executable and the real installer. Then, it executes the installer. On ReactOS, only one file is extracted and ran - the actual main executable. This is why you see the program and not the installer.
syneanth wrote:Anyway, it is just great. Wish the devs keep up the good work and tweak the basics first: USB recognition, Internet and Network, sound...
USB is still early in development, networking and sound have a fair chance of working when you provide a driver.

syneanth

Post by syneanth »

Here are my system specs:

Gigabyte M61SME-S2 chipset NVIDIA MCP61
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, socket AM2 940, 65 nm, Core Speed 2612 Mhz, Bus Speed 200.9 Mhz, Core Voltage 1.344 V
2048 DDR2 (373 Mhz) Kingmax
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 Mb, 128 Bit Bus, Core 800 Mhz, Memory 700 Mhz, 65 nm

Only the HDD Reactos was installed on was very old (Pentium II times...). It was a test on direct, real hardware. (Not that I know much about virtaul machines, never used such).

Hope this helps a bit. I'll post more application tests in the future, when I have time.

Be well.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I believe you have to set the USB to something like "legacy mode" which makes the OS think that the USB mouse and keyboard are really connected in the PS/2 ports. Feel free to correct me on this.