Problems with 0.3.11

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

RaptorEmperor

Problems with 0.3.11

Post by RaptorEmperor »

As those of you who are familiar with me know, I do software testing for ReactOS. I'm currently running ReactOS 0.3.11 in VirtualBox and I keep running into issues.

The new ReactOS Applications Manager frequently gives me problems. I was initially excited to use it, since the application managers in Ubuntu are one of my favorite features of that OS. However, it frequently causes my installation to lag up, and now I can't even install Firefox from it. I get the "Downloading" dialog box for a second, and then nothing happens. It doesn't even crash. It just acts like I didn't tell it to install Firefox. I want to test some freeware games and applications, but now I can't even get on the Internet to download anything.

Also, I'm having serious issues with typing in ReactOS. The installer has always had issues with typing, with the five-second delays between typing something and getting a response. Now, after installation, I can't type anything into menu bars or Firefox windows. (This was before Firefox started to refuse downloading.) I'm not sure why ReactOS refuses to take in any of my typing anymore.

Now the only way to test out any freeware apps would be to find a CD-RW, burn a disc with the apps, and then have VirtualBox read a physical disc. Which is kind of annoying, besides the challenge of finding a spare CD-RW and previous issues I've had trying to copy files or run software from a CD-RW in ReactOS. (Namely, ReactOS refusing to do either.) With 0.3.11 acting up the way it is, it's restricting my ability test software. I wanted to test some new games and re-test some older ones, but I have my hands kind of tied because these problems. I've reinstalled ReactOS multiple times to try and test fresh installs, but I keep encountering the same problems. I don't like whining about ReactOS, since I know the developers are doing all they can with limited manpower, but it's kind of irritating.

Is anyone else having these issues? Is there any work-around, and if other people are having issues, is anyone working on fixing it?

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Re: Problems with 0.3.11

Post by gabrielilardi »

RaptorEmperor wrote:The new ReactOS Applications Manager frequently gives me problems... it frequently causes my installation to lag up
This is a known issue and will be solved by the next release probably.
Also, I'm having serious issues with typing in ReactOS.

This is also another known issue, please disable USB on your VM, it should fix the problem.
Now the only way to test out any freeware apps would be to find a CD-RW, burn a disc with the apps, and then have VirtualBox read a physical disc.
There are lots of other ways to do it, search in the forum for "transfer files from host to guest", one way is using a secondary virtual HD where you store the software you test (transfered to it by mounting it) another way is to burn an iso image of a cd containing your software and you mount it as any other iso image in VirtualBox.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I turned off USB as you said and the keyboard worked again. I'll probably test your suggestions regarding ISO images and VirtualBox later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for replying to my questions so quickly. I appreciate it.

I had heard rumors ReactOS might have another bug-fixing release, and a working Application Manager could really be useful for ReactOS. I'm adding a working Application Manager to the list of things that I'm looking forward to, along with explorer_new.exe. :)

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

RaptorEmperor wrote:...a working Application Manager could really be useful for ReactOS. I'm adding a working Application Manager to the list of things that I'm looking forward to, along with explorer_new.exe. :)
It's not a problem of the application manager directly it was an issue with the network stack, that's being worked on in a separate branch. Explorer_new will take some time, but eventually will get there too. ;)

qietan

Post by qietan »

I have also 2 little problems.
1. during installation reactos tried to install a ethernet driver, but there was no driver. How could I now find this not installed hardware again to install the driver afterwards?

2. I plugged in an USB Stick. Doesn't Reactos recognize it automatically? How do I get access on it?

thx for Help

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

qietan wrote:I have also 2 little problems.
1. during installation reactos tried to install a ethernet driver, but there was no driver. How could I now find this not installed hardware again to install the driver afterwards?

2. I plugged in an USB Stick. Doesn't Reactos recognize it automatically? How do I get access on it?

thx for Help
You have three choices
1) Copying it to the HD
1.a) copy your driver to your hard disk booting with another OS (like Linux, Windows PE, etc)
1.b) grab the hd and put it in another computer to place your file.

2) Burn a cd with your driver

3) Copy your drivers to a floppy hoping it fits there and floppy still works, last time I tried it had regressed.

If you don't get the new hardware wizard for your ethernet card you'll have to delete its key in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI search for it there and delete it, reboot it will come up again.

qietan

Post by qietan »

So far so bad.
I deleted the registry keys, but after that reactos didin't came anymore. So I expanded the reactos ISO and added the ethernet driver.
-new installation
-Reactos Installation works!
-when it asks me for driver, I showed it the path on the cd. Reactos installed the driver correctly so far. But I didn't see any network connection. But when I look to hardware manager, the ethernet card is installed without any errors.
-So I tried to reastart, but it didn't came up anymore. Always freezing after mouse appears. Driver for win2k/XP is right, isn't it?

I have a IPC Topenote H Notebook.
Pentium 3 700MHz
128MB ram
SIS 900 Networkcard

Is there any thing I can do to give you more information? Same result when I start Reactos, Reactos(debug), Rectos (RSdebug) ...

Thx

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

qietan wrote:Driver for win2k/XP is right, isn't it?
Yes it's ok, the only thing is that in certain situations for multi-section inf files (probably your case) ReactOS says it has copied the files correctly but didn't, check in device manager for your network card, see the files it should be using, check that they are in effect in that path otherwise you'll have to copy them to the folder manually.

qietan

Post by qietan »

mhh, I don't think that this is the problem:
device manager shows me 5 files, and these are really where they should be. But there is no .inf file.

C:\ReactOS\SiS\900\0404.lng
C:\ReactOS\SiS\900\040c.lng
C:\ReactOS\SiS\900\0411.lng
C:\ReactOS\SiS\900\uninst.exe
C:\ReactOS\System32\drivers\sisnicxp.sys

could it be problem that ReactOS picks sisnicxp.sys and not sisnic2k.sys? is Reactos case sensitive? very strang...and why do it freeze after installation on boot up? not even mouse is moveable...

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its simple. If there is a driver for both 2k and xp, setupapi usually does the version detection and picks the driver for detected version. In our case - xp.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

qietan wrote:could it be problem that ReactOS picks sisnicxp.sys and not sisnic2k.sys? is Reactos case sensitive? very strang...and why do it freeze after installation on boot up? not even mouse is moveable...
Just for testing purposes you could try to copy sisnic2k.sys renaming it to sisnicxp.sys and overwriting the one copied during the installation.
The only thing now is trying to get a debug log (see my signature for info), there's no other way that I can think of to try to see what's going on.

The wolf

Post by The wolf »

after instalation and i did it with the boot loader on the hard drive and it wont boot all i get is the blinking under line i have did it for 5 min. the specks are 733mgz Cpu, 15 GB hardrive & 256 MG ram

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

Not to get off-topic, Haos, why is your username green now? It used to be yellow, didn't it?

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

The wolf: could you obtain a debug log from that machine?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

RaptorEmperor wrote:Not to get off-topic, Haos, why is your username green now? It used to be yellow, didn't it?
Nope Haos was blue too(if i recall correctly). Since Yesterday there is a Tester Team group with a Green colour as mine ;)