Install ReactOS to memory stick?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

geirergoy

Install ReactOS to memory stick?

Post by geirergoy »

Hi!
I like ReactOS, and would like to test it on a real computer, using the installable version, not the LiveCD.
I know I cant boot ReactOS LiveCD or Installer from a memory stick.

But could I boot ReactOS from a CD, and install it onto a memory stick as if it were a hard drive, also installing the boot loader onto the memory stick, so I don's screw up anything om my computer's hard disk?

Would this memory stick become a portable system, which I can boot any computer from?

I want to install ReactOS, but not onto my computer's internal hard drive. Just on a memory stick, which is removable, and makes no change to the hard drive.

Testing it on real hardware should be faster than VirtualBox, which was just frustrating.
gonzoMD

Re: Install ReactOS to memory stick?

Post by gonzoMD »

no
geirergoy

Post by geirergoy »

Really?

What is the difference between an internal hard drive, and a USB one?
You CAN install it onto a internal one, so why not on a USB stick?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Internal HDD uses IDE or SATA interface we luckily support. We dont support USB Mass storage interface (nor AHCI) so you cant boot from USB nor AHCI device.
geirergoy

Post by geirergoy »

So the ReactOS could be installed onto a USB stick _IF_ ReactOS did support USB sticks?

What about the bootloader? Would it automatically go to the same storage unit as the OS?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

A bootloader always goes to the primary Disk. by default. and we do so, too afaik.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

This might be possible.
You can install GRUB to a USB key, and you could use it to boot ReactOS.
Posterbot

Post by Posterbot »

andrewweb wrote:This might be possible.
You can install GRUB to a USB key, and you could use it to boot ReactOS.
Have you tried this?

I'm not a Linux user so not familiar with Grub (or Wine for that matter except what I read) but grub is the bootloader Linux uses.. is this correct? Interesting idea. Anything to help ROS along until the devs can fix native driver support is cool I think. That's why Wine is used isn't it.
dabski

Post by dabski »

I have tried extracting the ISO image to the USB stick and also booting the ISO directly from grub. Freeloader works fine but a little after ReactOS freezes before getting to the desktop.
Last edited by dabski on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

dabski wrote:I have tried extracting the ISO image to the USB stick and also just boot the ISO directly from grub. Freeloader works fine but a little after ReactOS freezes before getting to the desktop.
If you are using the Installer version, then try ReactOS(Debug) it will show where it stops loading :)
dabski

Post by dabski »

After the freeloader screen ReactOS displays the SOS screen showing a list of system files the last one being NDIS.SYS

When using debug mode it says something about unhanded kernel exemption pointers:
[ external image ]
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

when KDBG appears, write "bt"(without quotes) and it will show you a backtrace.Take a photo and show it to us :)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

So outputting to screen works! Good news.
dabski

Post by dabski »

Thanks vicmarcal, did'nt even notice the prompt at the bottom, I thought ReactOS had frozen :D
I figured out how to turn off the flash so these new photos are a lot easier on the eyes ;)

[ external image ]

Their was more text at the top but it scrolled past. It would be nice if the bt command had a /p switch like dir does. Anyway I did try to get a picture as it scrolled past, its surprisingly readable:
http://users.adam.com.au/srdebski/reactos/IMG_0471.png