No driver support for dell laptop

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: No driver support for dell laptop

Post by Z98 »

Let him be, lone_rifle. If he wants to try using ROS as a primary system, he's already been informed of the possible dangers.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

If it such a danger, then why are so many people on the forum using it and happy with it? Also, I thought I made it clear that I have an OLD LAPTOP, which means if it gets fried oh-well. That's the whole reason why I'm using it instead of my HP or Dell Desktop. This is a OS to be tested right? Then why are you guys DISCOURAGING me to use it or test it? I posted for support not for criticism from members. Thanks
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

They just wanted to be sure you know what you're doing, we're not discouraging people to test if they don't have the data to lose.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

k_chupe wrote:This is a OS to be tested right? Then why are you guys DISCOURAGING me to use it or test it?
Because I didn't read your first post that this was an old laptop that you were testing it on. My bad. Sorry. Most people here are testing it via Virtual Machines such as VMWare or VirtualBox, or using old disused systems.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

No prob. I did try it in VM but because of my laptops limited resources React OS moved freakishly slowwww. I'm cursed with the gift of persistence. I won't stop until I either solve the problem or blow up my laptop. Thanks
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

k_chupe wrote:If it such a danger, then why are so many people on the forum using it and happy with it? Also, I thought I made it clear that I have an OLD LAPTOP, which means if it gets fried oh-well. That's the whole reason why I'm using it instead of my HP or Dell Desktop. This is a OS to be tested right? Then why are you guys DISCOURAGING me to use it or test it? I posted for support not for criticism from members. Thanks
Thanks K_chupe, I´m complety agree. Sometimes I find ourselves discouraging people to test ReactOS in RH. Of course our duty is warning but not overwarning. ReactOS has never killed a PC/Lappy/Kitten in the time im here, just boot problems because pleope trying to create a Dual Boot. But indeed in this case they are just the ones responsibles,i think we had stated clearly a trillion of times ReactOS is alpha. If we continue discouraging continuosly we will never have Real hardware debug logs.

:)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I have to admitt i am actively discouraging people from USING (not TESTING) ReactOS, or rather trying to use, if they look to me more like end-users than power users. Why? Simply because i dont want to deal with broken expectations, misled hopes and all the usual "why didnt you clearly said that ROS..." stuff. Seen it too many times, often it ended up with hostilities. Do not want.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Perhaps a thread or a wiki page should be created, to explain people the implications of installing and using α, and that testing is not discouraged. Then the standard answer will be: «Please first read this article.»
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

got it installed and heres the debug log for those who know what they're looking for, me not being one of those:
http://www.reactos.org/paste/index.php/5435/
this is the trunk build:bootcd-41995-rel
thanks in advance for any help on the matter
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Nothing unusual. You want to get the drivers to work — try to install them, if ReactOS will crash with some driver, then receive a debug log. If a network driver will not work, activate more debug messages; ask people how to do it.
k_chupe

Post by k_chupe »

o.k Thanks -Kevin