ReactOS run on my laptop?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

djknitex

ReactOS run on my laptop?

Post by djknitex »

When a newer version of ReactOS come out such as like 0.5, can I be able to use it as a alternative to VISTA?

Here are my specs

4 Gigs of RAM
Nvidia 7150m
AMd Turion X2 64
250 GIG HD
Windows Vista

Model: HP Pavilion DV6000

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS run on my laptop?

Post by EmuandCo »

Noone can tell you that. We are no future tellers. Stay tuned and try it as soon as its out.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What HDD controler does that machine have?
Why do you want to run ReactOS on what looks like a production machine?

djknitex

Post by djknitex »

To me, Vista is a terrible OS and can barely run games with a smooth fps, and the security is to strict on Vista.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

djknitex wrote:To me, Vista is a terrible OS and can barely run games with a smooth fps, and the security is to strict on Vista.
DirectX (Direct3D) is still being worked on in ROS, not all 3D games will run (ESPECIALLY not Crysis, which wouldn't run on your hardware anyway.)

The laptop in question uses SATA. But you need to be more specific on what sub-model your laptop is. Is it a dv6000z? dv6000t?

djknitex

Post by djknitex »

I'm sure it's DV6929wm

And I'm not much of a fan of 3D games, just simple games, like Diablo 2, and maybe the classic Everquest... I ran ReactOS on an emulator, so I can't wait for a stable release

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

simple games should work :)
We have Diablo working :)

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

djknitex wrote:To me, Vista is a terrible OS and can barely run games with a smooth fps, and the security is to strict on Vista.
To me, ReactOS is an alpha OS and can barely run games and the security is too basic on ReactOS.
Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.9 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use.
If you want a gaming OS that is not Vista, obtain yourself a copy of Windows XP. While I think that ReactOS is a pretty cool guy (eh clones Windows and doesn't afraid of anything), I would hardly consider running it as my main OS right now.

Of course, if you happen to have a spare HDD around, you could try removing your Vista disk from the machine temporarily and installing ReactOS on the spare disk instead. That way, you get to try ReactOS without losing your Vista install in the process, allowing you to switch back to using Vista if/when you run into problems with your ReactOS install.