Null Modem

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

cuttysark

Null Modem

Post by cuttysark »

Hello,
I need help to config Putty in order to debug ROS in real hardware, although I had no problems configuring it with Virtualbox, I can't succeed in real hardware.
I followed wiki instructions "use a Terminal application like PuTTY or Windows HyperTerminal on the computer for receiving the debug messages. Set it up to listen to the first serial port (COM1 [3F8/IRQ4]) and a baud rate of 115200."
My Host machine is a Windows XP professional 32bit, with 2 serial ports. I've tryed both... I've tryed to put on Putty config "COM1 [3F8/IRQ4]", it says it can't open that port. I've tryed just "COM1" it opens the port but nothing happens. Restarted several times ROS (Debug)... I have verified the Freeldr.ini and it seems OK. Don't know what to do.

Can anybody explain me, very slowly :oops: , how to config Putty?
Thanks
Cuttysark

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: Null Modem

Post by Lone_Rifle »

how are the two machines connected together?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Make sure you plug your cable to COM1 and set it in BIOS with DEFAULT SETTING: irq4/03f8 on BOTH sides.

bianca

Post by bianca »

Will a modem from a Dell computer work on a compaq? My modem went out and I took the modem out of a pc that wasn't being used. It was a Dell modem. I got connected, but it made a horrible sound when connecting.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Haos wrote:Make sure you plug your cable to COM1 and set it in BIOS with DEFAULT SETTING: irq4/03f8 on BOTH sides.
Some BIOSes cannot set IRQ just so you know (such as mine.) You don't need the BIOS to know the IRQ though.