Two Items

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

silver163

Two Items

Post by silver163 »

Hello,

Does React OS support USB, Serial, Parallel and .Net and Microsoft MySQL server?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Two Items

Post by vicmarcal »

Right now ReactOS isnt supporting USB. It supports PS2.
".NET"?Well .NET is an app,so try it... ;). Also u can try Free .Net called MONO ;)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We support basic Legacy USB, for mices and keyboards. No guarantee it works.
silver163

Post by silver163 »

what about serial and parrallel?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Not the parallel; serial is supported, but debug builds will use COM1 for the debug output.

Bear in mind that ReactOS is not ready for production use. But it's likely you'll try it anyway, screw up your computer and blame us for it, even after we've warned you.
silver163

Post by silver163 »

well that's an extremely dickish way of going about. well the TRUE reason I asked was to know what is available or not. I am going to pass this off to my programmers and ask them to do it since I need the operating system for business (not selling it obviously) but I need to use it as a server to store files, i figured rather than just say and try i would ask and then go from there.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

silver163 wrote:Hello,

Does React OS support USB, Serial, Parallel and .Net and Microsoft MySQL server?
I'm working on extending USB support to include full support for USB 1.1 and 2 devices. This will take 2-3 months to complete. Serial support is present. Parallel... someone else should answer that question (guys, we could use some kind of support list here ;) ). .Net doesn't install yet, but Mono does. Few people seem to be testing .Net functionality, though.

Do you mean MSSQL? As far as I know it hasn't been tested yet. My guess is that at best it may kind of work but with lots of oddities and crashes. If one were to file bug reports based on these experiences (and debug logs), I'm sure the devs would make it work quicker than if this wasn't done :)
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

silver163 wrote:well that's an extremely dickish way of going about. well the TRUE reason I asked was to know what is available or not. I am going to pass this off to my programmers and ask them to do it since I need the operating system for business (not selling it obviously) but I need to use it as a server to store files, i figured rather than just say and try i would ask and then go from there.
I see. Sorry, we get an insane number of idiot users who ask stupid questions and then blame us for breaking their system. Apologies if I've misidentified you as one of them.

In any case, have we spoken before? we've had a couple of guys from the carribean come round to the IRC channel asking about using ROS as an alternative to Win2K, as a container platform for their own commercial software which they sell as an entire system. The GPL btw does allow you to sell the OS commercially so long as you provide the source code and any modifications to it free of charge, as far as i know.
SdC

Post by SdC »

Lone_Rifle wrote:
silver163 wrote:...The GPL btw does allow you to sell the OS commercially so long as you provide the source code and any modifications to it free of charge, as far as i know.
Indeed, the same way Citrix, VMWare et al use Linux kernel and still make a buck from the proprietary/closed code around it.
silver163

Post by silver163 »

Lone_Rifle wrote:
silver163 wrote:well that's an extremely dickish way of going about. well the TRUE reason I asked was to know what is available or not. I am going to pass this off to my programmers and ask them to do it since I need the operating system for business (not selling it obviously) but I need to use it as a server to store files, i figured rather than just say and try i would ask and then go from there.
I see. Sorry, we get an insane number of idiot users who ask stupid questions and then blame us for breaking their system. Apologies if I've misidentified you as one of them.

In any case, have we spoken before? we've had a couple of guys from the carribean come round to the IRC channel asking about using ROS as an alternative to Win2K, as a container platform for their own commercial software which they sell as an entire system. The GPL btw does allow you to sell the OS commercially so long as you provide the source code and any modifications to it free of charge, as far as i know.
I understand. No I don't believe we have spoken, my company has created a point of sale software which currently runs on a Windows based operating system and has been certified. So we cannot make a Linux version but this operating system is real nice.

When you say provide does it have to be downloadable from the site or can it be released upon request by individuals?
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

silver163 wrote:When you say provide does it have to be downloadable from the site or can it be released upon request by individuals?
I believe that the GPL allows you to do either, although "downloadable from the site" is preferred over "released upon request" - the main thing is that the users should have access to the source code, if they want.

I think that the specifics of this are explained in more detail somewhere on gnu.org
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

GoBusto wrote:
silver163 wrote:When you say provide does it have to be downloadable from the site or can it be released upon request by individuals?
I believe that the GPL allows you to do either, although "downloadable from the site" is preferred over "released upon request" - the main thing is that the users should have access to the source code, if they want.

I think that the specifics of this are explained in more detail somewhere on gnu.org
IIRC it comes down to that the manufacturer has to provide a copy of the source code upon request, at no unreasonable cost to the requesting party. Whether the source is available as a download, will be emailed or snail-mailed on a CD or whatever doesn't matter.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We'd actually be happy to work with you on the POS system, to get ROS working on it and filling in holes. It's something that's been discussed amongst the developers, but we've never been in contact with any company that do sell POS systems.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Z98 wrote:We'd actually be happy to work with you on the POS system, to get ROS working on it and filling in holes. It's something that's been discussed amongst the developers, but we've never been in contact with any company that do sell POS systems.
silver163, if you wish to get in touch with us, our main modes of communications are as follows:

The Ros-Dev mailing list
http://www.reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-dev

IRC @ Freenode
irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/reactos
silver163

Post by silver163 »

Z98 wrote:We'd actually be happy to work with you on the POS system, to get ROS working on it and filling in holes. It's something that's been discussed amongst the developers, but we've never been in contact with any company that do sell POS systems.
ok sure how much would you want? we need to get the operating system to resemble Windows XP Pro so the software could be PABP/PA-DSS certified.