Live Version - Blank Screen

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Os1200

Live Version - Blank Screen

Post by Os1200 »

Hi Im Os1200 and this looks like a very interesting project - Im a complete Newbie to ReactOs while ive had some luck running the virtual version I having no luck running the Live version Once Ive reached the ReactOs Logo the screen then goes blank and my Monitor say out of range but I don`t think anythings happening the CD stops.
Advice Please
GoBusto

Re: Live Version - Blank Screen

Post by GoBusto »

Os1200 wrote:Hi Im Os1200 and this looks like a very interesting project - Im a complete Newbie to ReactOs while ive had some luck running the virtual version I having no luck running the Live version Once Ive reached the ReactOs Logo the screen then goes blank and my Monitor say out of range but I don`t think anythings happening the CD stops.
Advice Please
"Out of Range" simply means that your monitor does not support the resolution that the LiveCD is trying to use. I've had this happen to me before, when using Windows.

Try using a different monitor, if possible.
Os1200

Post by Os1200 »

That was a quick reply Thanks - Ive checked on another monitor -This time no message the screen just goes blank.
Even though its a blank screen Ive tryed to start programs with the keyboard theres no CD activity?
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Which version of ROS are you using? 0.3.6 or a more recent trunk build?
Os1200

Post by Os1200 »

Ive tryed 0.3.6 and the latest nightly and the earlyest and a few in between - Also when ive tryed it under VirtualPc the same thing happends.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Os1200 wrote:Ive tryed 0.3.6 and the latest nightly and the earlyest and a few in between - Also when ive tryed it under VirtualPc the same thing happends.
Virtual PC is buggy, so it doesn't run ReactOS properly. What type of hard disks and CD/DVD drives do you have (SATA or IDE)?
Os1200

Post by Os1200 »

Ive got a IDE CD-Rom/HD - I found 0.3.0 works but 0.3.3 -to 0.3.6 doesnt work these I tested native.
But also I found on VirtualPc I can get 0.3.6 sort of working if I convert the VMWare version to VirtualPc but the graphics are scewed and it realy slow - But I agree VirtualPc isnt perfect but I often test on this and usaly if it doesnt work on this it doesnt work on my Machine.But I understand React is under heavy development but ill keep trying nightly builds E.t.c and Im happy to test any Betas and if anyones got any ideas let me know - Maybe editing the ISO? changing some files.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

I thought that perhaps the LiveCD might be having problems because your CD drive was SATA or something, but it seems not.

Next idea: Which type of graphics card do you have? See here for details of problematic cards.
Os1200

Post by Os1200 »

Well I do get graphic bugs under 0.3.0
My Spec is
Geforce FX 5200
Amd Barton Xp 2500+
1GB Memory

Sometimes on later versions I get an Error about NTOSKRNL.EXE I tryed replacing this with the version from 0.3.0 but no luck.
Im just editing the ISO and swappping files...........

What Display drivers does the VMWare version use that 0.3.0 doesnt? Cant I strip back the VMWare version to using the 0.3.0 display drivers?

Also I found this thread http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3671
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

0.3.0 is VERY old. Please use latest ROS version for testing.
shyboy16

Post by shyboy16 »

Hiya all there,

I was just fiddling with some small OSes when one of my friend suggested that I should try out ReactOS as it seems very promising. The screen shots were great so I decided to give it a shot. I got the LiveCD version and burned it. But when I tried to boot from it, it showed the file loading screen, then appeared the driver loading screen with React OS logo and while loading AFD.sys it just hung up. Same thing happened again and again. Then I tried using Virtualbox and Microsoft Virtual PC. But both of them showed only blank screen after that second screen with React OS logo. I think this might be on part of my video card. I've got a Intel celeron 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM, Mercury motherboard with onboard Intel 845G video chipset. Can you tell me what causes the blank screen to appear?

I did test it on my dad's HP 6710s laptop, and yeah it did boot in into the GUI. But this is not something I expected! My friend said React OS is binary compatible with windows. But with this system all I could do was to browse folders. It refused run any file - exe,jpg and even txt-the barest minimum. What does that mean. Will the installable version run exe files?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

shyboy..we recommend to test in Virtual Machines...and we recommend to test in VMware.
Running a LiveCD?or installing in a Laptop?Well it´s wonderful but, until improving drivers, we have limitation to hardware compatibility.So u have to be really really sure that your graphics card, HDD,and all other stuff has been tested(or checked) and runs well.

If u have run Ros in HP laptop is a good point(laptops are "special") ;)...

If it´s your first time,and you just to try Reactos,just install VMware Server,create a new machine WindowsXp, download the 0.3.6 release version(or the newest revision)iso,and install it in that Virtual Machine. Just easy/fast to test,easy/fast to improve ;)
Geoz

Post by Geoz »

Os1200 wrote: Geforce FX 5200
That is your problem right there, FX 5200 is a terrible card. I have one, and it refuses to display anything beyond the ReactOS logo too.

A Geforce 4 will work.
Os1200

Post by Os1200 »

The Geforce FX 5200 is shit but as I dont realy play any games I think ill stick with it for now. - But my hopes for ReactOs in the future are to have a level of compatiblity parallel with Windowz to run on even a crap setup like mine :wink:

Anyway whats so different graphically with 0.3.0? - This boots up no problem.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

0.3.0 was pre-kernel rewrite. Also, I imagine some additional work was done on the graphics drivers.