Installation Error

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

peterofthecorn

Installation Error

Post by peterofthecorn »

I installed ReactOs on a computer (I had it dual booting ubuntu and windows 98, I have it on the partition Windows 98 was on) and the inital setup is complete. However, when I boot my computer now, it just says this:

freeldr.sys not found

If I press any ket it just repeats the message with two square root symbols before it.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Installation Error

Post by vicmarcal »

Fat partition?
peterofthecorn

Post by peterofthecorn »

Yes.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

peterofthecorn wrote:(I had it dual booting ubuntu and windows 98, I have it on the partition Windows 98 was on)
ReactOS can't write to the bootsector properly yet, so it will most likely be caused by FreeLoader and GRUB fighting.

You really shouldn't be installing ReactOS on your main PC at this stage, since alpha stage software makes no promises about not wrecking your hardware. If you're using a spare one, however, I'd suggest formatting the whole HDD as one big partition and erasing the MBR so that ReactOS can write to it.

EDIT: Alternatively, use a virtual machine. QEMU is one of the recommended emulators, available for both Windows and *NIX. There is also a modified version available for MacOSX called Q.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

You can use GRUB to boot ReactOS. Add something like

Code: Select all

title ReactOS
kernel (hd0,0)/freeldr.sys
to menu.lst file. (hd0,0) means the first primary partition ot the first hard disk.

ReactOS works well :) on my machine, being installed on the same partition with Windows XP.

Of course, "THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION."
peterofthecorn

Post by peterofthecorn »

This is very much a spare machine. I will reduce everything to one partition and see if I get better results.

Hto, I am not experienced enough with OS installation to completely understand what you are telling me. How do I get grub to boot it, and how do I edit the menu.lst file?
peterofthecorn

Post by peterofthecorn »

Thank you very much for telling me to make the whole system one partition! It worked. Now I just need to get my speakers and ethernet controller drivers to work.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

peterofthecorn wrote:Thank you very much for telling me to make the whole system one partition! It worked. Now I just need to get my speakers and ethernet controller drivers to work.
You'll be there for a long time with the speakers, since sound is currently unimplemented. There is a legend that ye may obtain sound by using the fabled NT4 sound drivers, but I'm not clear on the details. Try searching the wiki or forum.

Let us know how you get on.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Yes about sound yo have to wait ;) try searching in the wikis...who knows ;)...and if u find a way of having sound, post it ;)
z180

Post by z180 »

Using libraries and drivers from windows may give sound support...
peterofthecorn

Post by peterofthecorn »

Another wuestion:

Is there a reason why the computer doesn't fully shut down when I click the "turn off"? It just has ablinking horisontal line at the top left of the screen and the power is still on. I manually adjust the power.