Help with installation

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

elcman

Re: Help with installation

Post by elcman »

Is there a way I can track any issues with this so I can help with the debugging effort? I was hoping to see something like a debug or "safe mode" boot, but I can pretty much bet this boot that I'm doing now is almost exactly like safe mode boot.

I've got a P3 X23 Thinkpad that I'm doing various OS' on and I would love to help out by tracing where the hardware failure is occurring. AFD.SYS is loading just before I go to a blank screen... I'd be curious if this is the Windows Manager not launching properly or something of that nature.

Is it my hardware that is incompatible? Or is it something else? Just curious.

I would love to see a free and open alternative to Windows... that's why I sought you guys out. I'm a Linux junkie but Linux won't play my games. *le sigh*
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

For doing a real hardware ReactOS test you need to use two PC's - one running ROS and other - recording debug output from the first one. To do so, you need both of those PC's to have serial ports, you also need a null modem cable to connect those serial ports. Then you can run ReactOS DBG on one PC and any terminal app, like Hyperterminal or Putty, on second one. Debug log is necessary to fix any real-hardware error and also just to be able to notice those errors.
elcman

Post by elcman »

I'll get all that together. I have a null modem cable, and two computers with serial ports. I'll get things set up here and see what information I can pull out.

Thanks for the information!
boom_chuck_a_boom

Post by boom_chuck_a_boom »

Hi,

I have similar problem. I tried 0.3.6 LiveCD and Install version and both stop at a black
screen after the AFD.SYS loads. I tried this on 6 machines, all different specs and all
with popular standard graphics cards etc... all seem to have same problem.

I also tried to run it in MS Virtual Machine 2004 just to see if same result and
virtual box but all same story. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get passed it?

Versions from late 2006, early 2007 were booting up ok though. Once I tried 3.3+
this started happening.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

First, don't use ROS on VPC. There's a problem with the graphics emulation on VPC that our graphics driver can't compensate for. Second, we would really need a debug output from one of those machines to see what exactly was failing, especially if there's no bluescreen to print it out.

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/D ... rial_cable