Freeloader hangs.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Meklort
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Freeloader hangs.

Post by Meklort »

I have attempted to install ReactOS on an old 486 laptop.
Since teh computer does not have a cdrom dirve, this is what I did:
1) ran make install, and zipped uo those file
2) using hjsplit, created eight 1.4 mb files
3) copyied over the files, joined them, and extracted the archive.
4) Downloaded freeloader, (http://reactos.csh-consult.dk/download/freeldr.zip)
5) put freeloader on a floppy

When I try and boot reactos, freeloader loads with the usual bootscreen, but when I select reactos, a popup says "No Multiboot header found!".
I click ok, and it sasy reading hal.dll and hangs there.

EDIT, i tried it again, and now it just reboots after I click ok.
I will try with a newer verion of freeloader (if i can ge tthe install cd to mke one)

GvG
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Freeloader hangs.

Post by GvG »

meklort wrote:When I try and boot reactos, freeloader loads with the usual bootscreen, but when I select reactos, a popup says "No Multiboot header found!".
My guess is that the version of freeloader you downloaded doesn't match the current kernel. Can you check the version number in the top-left of the freeloader screen, I bet it is below 2.0 (you need 2.0 to boot recent kernels).

Meklort
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Freeloader hangs.

Post by Meklort »

GvG wrote:(you need 2.0 to boot recent kernels).
the FreeLoader version is 1.8.18.
How would I create a freeloader bootdisk? I tried to use the install cd from the latest nightly buid, but quem had an error when it tried to write the floppy.
Do i just type make install in the boot/freeldr directory?

Gasmann
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:53 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Freeloader hangs.

Post by Gasmann »

meklort wrote:
GvG wrote:(you need 2.0 to boot recent kernels).
the FreeLoader version is 1.8.18.
How would I create a freeloader bootdisk? I tried to use the install cd from the latest nightly buid, but quem had an error when it tried to write the floppy.
Do i just type make install in the boot/freeldr directory?
I guess you have to do the following:
  • Write fat.bin to the Floppy, e.g. with "dd if=fat.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1" in Linux, I don't know how to do so in Windows.
    Copy freeldr.sys to Floppy.
    Setup a freeldr.ini on the Floppy Disk.
That should be all, however I never tried it :roll:
Alternatively you can download this, write it to disk e.g. with rawwrite and simply replace the freeldr.sys with the newest one.

Meklort
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Freeloader hangs.

Post by Meklort »

gasmann wrote: I guess you have to do the following:
  • Write fat.bin to the Floppy, e.g. with "dd if=fat.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1" in Linux, I don't know how to do so in Windows.
    Copy freeldr.sys to Floppy.
    Setup a freeldr.ini on the Floppy Disk.
That should be all, however I never tried it :roll:
Alternatively you can download this, write it to disk e.g. with rawwrite and simply replace the freeldr.sys with the newest one.
Thanks, all I needed was the command on linux / what files (i havent ever tried to make any form of bootable medium) The link i already tried, it is version 1.8.18 (just tried both ways, and they work)

Now after everthing loads, it goes to a black screen and nothing happens (that i can tell)

DarkDonkey
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:14 pm

Post by DarkDonkey »

Hi,

I'm getting the same problem but through a different route,

I thinks it's to do with having a multi partitioned HD, when I install ReactOS from iso all files are copied across to designated partition except for boot (freeldr.sys etc) it prompts me to make a boot floppy but refuses to recognise when there is a disk in the drive.

I only run windows (never been able to get to grips with linux) and i don't compile from source.

Any suggestions??

Much appreciated :)

Gasmann
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:53 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Gasmann »

DarkDonkey wrote:I thinks it's to do with having a multi partitioned HD, when I install ReactOS from iso all files are copied across to designated partition except for boot (freeldr.sys etc) it prompts me to make a boot floppy but refuses to recognise when there is a disk in the drive.
Again for you:
gasmann wrote:[...]you can download this, write it to disk e.g. with rawwrite and simply replace the freeldr.sys with the newest one.
That's how you can simply create the needed boot floppy. The freeldr.sys is on the install cd.
about your partition table: Sorry to say this, but if you don't post it I doubt anyone can help you with this.

gge
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:58 pm
Location: France

Post by gge »

May this can help.
Nou need an internet connection to get the reactos sources ...
On Windows , I have a reactos build on my hard disk and I boot from a freeldr diskette.
See http://edou4ever.free.fr/gge/reactos/Gg ... S-page.htm

GreatLord
Developer
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:26 am
Location: Sweden

Post by GreatLord »

Some in irc did told me some part of reactos asm have been adapte to pentium asm code (i586). i486 does not work any more.

DarkDonkey
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:14 pm

Post by DarkDonkey »

Hi,

sorry I haven't replied sooner but i'm in the middle of my MSc exams at the moment.

I already had an old version of freeloader on floppy - originally taken form Caspers site when he was still doing the daily builds.

I did just copy and paste the new freeldr.sys from cd and it worked fine!

Thanks for the support from all!

ReactOS is really coming on! The speed at which it is being developed is awesome! Anyway back to the revision :( Thanks again.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest