Hard drive partitioning clarification?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

DRNewcomb

Hard drive partitioning clarification?

Post by DRNewcomb »

I'd like to get something clarified about the partitioning of a disk for testing ROS (0.3.4). I have a system I use as a sandbox for testing programs, different distributions of Linux, etc. When I most recently reinstalled Linux I decided I'd leave a small primary partition (6 GB) free just for testing ROS and the like. This seemed (to me) to be consistent with what I found in the Wiki and FAQ. What's on the disk is:
1. a large ext3 file system, primary partition
2. a small swap partition, primary partition
3. a small empty primary partition (for ROS)
4. an extended partition with one subpartition with an empty FAT32 file system.

When I booted from the install CD it informed me that the installer didn't understand more than one primary partition on a drive. I've also read that the ROS partition must be in the primary partition and must be on the master IDE drive.

So what's the deal? Are all these actually requirments or ROS or is this some limitation of the installer? I've read that ROS can be installed as a dual boot system but being on the first and only primary partition could pose problems.

I can install and old drive as the IDE slave and partition it any way I want. Would that work?

Just to be extra clear. This system is used only for software & OS testing. It can blow up and as long as it doesn't catch fire there will be no loss.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its just a current limitation of our freeldr. It requires a single primary partition on Master.

DRNewcomb

Post by DRNewcomb »

So what are the practical limitations for installation on a hard drive? I also read how to use GRUB as a boot manager for ROS. Is it impossible to install and bood from drive configurations other than the first and only primary partition on the master IDE drive?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You would have to install ROS when only one hdd is installed and it contains a single primary partition. Then it can boot within any setup (grub chainloading, bios boot device selection, etc).

Sorry, i`m not the best person to answer your questions, you`d need to wait for more.

Shadowmeph

Re:

Post by Shadowmeph »

Haos wrote:You would have to install ROS when only one hdd is installed and it contains a single primary partition. Then it can boot within any setup (grub chainloading, bios boot device selection, etc).

Sorry, i`m not the best person to answer your questions, you`d need to wait for more.
ok I noticed this is an old post but has this option changed yet?
I have two hard drives and on my first hard drive I have two MS OS's and on my seconcond hard drive I have Mandriva but there is alot of room on the second drive and I would like to install ROS on it

hto
Developer

Re: Hard drive partitioning clarification?

Post by hto »

Partition support is still broken, ReactOS can boot only from the 1st partition on the 1st HDD. There may be other partitions or disks, they will not disturb.

You can try to exchange two HDDs. Or run ReactOS in an emulator, such as QEMU.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Just for safety it´s better to install in one HDD (not SATA) without any other OS installed.
This is alpha, and could give some problems,dont work or indeed delete other OS or partitions.
You can try(if u want) LiveCD,which actually seems to work so well.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Additional partitions need to be Primary, else you wont be able to access them from within ROS. You also shouldn`t delete the firts partition in 1st stage of install, as recreating it can wipe all other partitions, as you can observe them not being listed.

Shadowmeph

Post by Shadowmeph »

Haos wrote:Additional partitions need to be Primary, else you wont be able to access them from within ROS. You also shouldn`t delete the firts partition in 1st stage of install, as recreating it can wipe all other partitions, as you can observe them not being listed.
ok thatnk you for clearing this up
I guess that I will continue to run ReactOS in QEMU, it does run pretty smooth considering its still in the Alpha stage