Step by step please!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

nzsmostwanted

Step by step please!

Post by nzsmostwanted »

OK.I went to the reactOS site,downloaded 0.34REL-.gemu.Read its Alpha,so don't use it as everyday OS.But read in users review,you can install from CD1,2,3 which includes goodies, ie media players etc.But read other comments and people had problems loading the Live CD,VMWare version,etc.So which is better? version 0.30 or the 0.34 version and which emulator? Will I need to install a base OS like Windows 2000 Pro,and then a version inside an emulator?
And will it detect my WinModem, so I can connect to the internet? Will Autopatcher 2000 install with no problems? So, is this really a better alternative to MS WINXP Home,etc and does it get viral attacks as an original,expensive MS Windows version of 2000 or XP? :?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Read its Alpha,so don't use it as everyday OS.
Yes, please do remember this.
But read in users review,you can install from CD1,2,3 which includes goodies, ie media players etc.
Could you provide link for those reviews? There are no goodies like media players and so. There is a rosapps pack but it contains only some simple applications, like additional screensavers, some tests, downloader app, fontviewer, calc, magnifier glass, event logger, mc, pdf viewer and so on.
But read other comments and people had problems loading the Live CD,VMWare version,etc.So which is better?
All 0.3.4 versions are of the same quality. The only difference is:
- bootcd you install on your pc from cd or iso image (for virtual machines), wheras livecd is supposed to work from CD only, not installing/changing anything on your HDD;
- Qemu vs Vmware - those are preinstalled bootcd images for qemu or vmware virtual machines, as some people find installing bootcd in them complicated. It is not;
- version 0.30 or the 0.34 version and which emulator?
I would go for the last release, as many issues/bugs have been fixed in the time being (more than two years between 0.34 and 0.30). Although some applications may have regressed and also 0.34 was suffering from the nasty keyboard bug, happening on some real hardware. As for virtual machines, we usually use Vmware or QEMU. You can also try VirtualBox and BOCHS should work as well. We dont recomend VPC, as it contains bugs in Graphics emulation, making it non functioning with ROS.
Will I need to install a base OS like Windows 2000 Pro,and then a version inside an emulator?
Depends on what are you trying to do on this PC. If you want to test ROS, then you can try to install it directly on your hardware. You would need another PC and a null modem cable, connecting both PC`s serial ports, to test it properly - to obtain debug output. If you want that PC for everyday use, then please go to the beginning of this post and look at the first sentence i quoted.
And will it detect my WinModem, so I can connect to the internet?
Is it connected through USB? If so then i doubt it. USB is not fully functional right now.
Will Autopatcher 2000 install with no problems?
What do you need Autopatcher 2000 on ROS for?
So, is this really a better alternative to MS WINXP Home,etc and does it get viral attacks as an original,expensive MS Windows version of 2000 or XP?
Ros is alpha stage, not fully functional. It is hard to compare it to Windows right now as it is still lacking in many areas.