ReactOS will not install past 16%

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

IceWolf1102

ReactOS will not install past 16%

Post by IceWolf1102 »

Hi 8)

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having.

I tried to install the latest ReactOS build today on my pc and it got right into the setup, but when it was installing the system files it seemed to never move from 16% completed which is the "explorer.exe" file.

In case you need my pc specs to help diagose the issue, they are:
Intel Celeron 2.26GHz, 768Mb Ram, Radeon 9250 AGP Graphics, 1x 80Gb Hitachi SATA hdd, 1x 80Gb EIDE Western Digital hdd, 1x 20gb IDE Seagate HDD

Is this a common problem with trying to install ReactOS? This is my first time i've tried to install it.. as far as I know there is nothing wrong with my Seagate hard drive that I am trying to install to, and I don't know what could cause this. :?

I am new to this forum also and I apologise if this question has already been answered in another post.. if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it.

thanks guys :)

Radhad

Post by Radhad »

You can only install ReactOS on IDE FAT32 partitions, and this partition must be the first one (SATA get's preferred afaik).

You should prefer to use ReactOS within a virtualisation software like QEMU or VMware, because it does not really work with real hardware at the moment (and a long time in the future). I use QEMU with QEMU Manager and kqemu on Windows XP and that works great and it is easy-to-use.

I hope this answer is helpfull for you.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

If you prefer to use real hardware and have problems, you need to use dbg version of ROS as well as other PC, both connected through serial ports with null modem cable. Then you will be able to receive debug output on that other PC through some simple app like Hyperterminal.

We would be greatful for such debug log as it would enable us to fix that issue. Right now without it, our choices are limited, we can only count it will get solved with some other issue.

SATA hdd is not working quite well, you should try to use the IDE one. You could prepare a primary partition on IDE hdd, then just disable the SATA HDD in bios and continue with the install. If your mobo supports it, changing the booting order will also bring the ros up to booting.

Stead

Post by Stead »

Haos wrote:If you prefer to use real hardware and have problems, you need to use dbg version of ROS as well as other PC, both connected through serial ports with null modem cable. Then you will be able to receive debug output on that other PC through some simple app like Hyperterminal.

We would be greatful for such debug log as it would enable us to fix that issue. Right now without it, our choices are limited, we can only count it will get solved with some other issue.

SATA hdd is not working quite well, you should try to use the IDE one. You could prepare a primary partition on IDE hdd, then just disable the SATA HDD in bios and continue with the install. If your mobo supports it, changing the booting order will also bring the ros up to booting.
Hrmm, I never knew this, If it helps when I get some spare time I can boot a spare amd machine I have (which run and booted with the last release just fine) with a null modem cable, can test a couple of things with it, if theres anything that needs to..if its worth it that is, I don't tend to check the forum oftne, but will try and remember to check this week again

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Just get us please the debug log from installing ROS. Then we`ll take over and eventually ask you to recheck if some bug would be found and fixed. If you decide to do so, please visit our irc channel for help/detalis. You should check both latest trunk as well as latest stable 0.3.3 for comparison.

mgmechanics

similar bug

Post by mgmechanics »

I received a similar bug. Installing ROS on my desktop failed.
- i downloaded and burned the Installation CD
- i repartioned the hdd with a primary partition with a fat32-filessystem as first partition
- i put the Installation CD into the cdrom and restated the machine
- machine boots from cd
- installation started (see video attached)
- screen turns black, cd stops rotating
- nothing else happend

System configuration:
- Board: Asus CUSL2 (815E - chipset) (see lspci.txt, which i did with Ubuntu 7.10 - just installed for this purpose)
- Graphic: nVidia TNT2 M64 (internal Graphic switched off - i did years ago to got BeOs running - and succeded with this configuration!) (see Grafikkarte.png)
- Keyboard: USB (plug it out after BIOS has recognised it didn't change anything)
- Mouse: USB (plug it out didn't change anything)

Attachments: http://www.mgmechanics.de/mgmechanics/d ... tall01.zip