Installer hangs.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

spoons

Installer hangs.

Post by spoons »

During the ReactOS installer, my computer will crash after about 60 secs on any of the pages, I can zoom through them real quick, or just leave it on the first page, and it still hangs. The drive then spins down.
I'm trying 0.3.3

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 4200+ X2 64bit CPU
1280mb of ram(ish)
nVidia GeForce 8600GT

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to get this working.

EDIT:
Tried the LiveCD, which does the same, but there's nothing on the screen. My graphics card has 256mb of it's own RAM.
FSX

Post by FSX »

Easiest fix: do not install ROS on a real computer. It is too early in dev stages for that.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I want to say it's because of our video driver, but I don't remember if that was hackfixed for the 0.3.3 release.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its probably lack of VESA 1.2 compatibility.
spoons

Post by spoons »

Thanks for the replies. Haos, do you mean ReactOS isn't compatible with VESA 1.2? Because I'm sure my card is VESA 3. When do you guys think this bug will be fixed? As soon as I can install the thing, I'll start testing drivers and put them on the compatibility database (normal users can do that, right?)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I do not know the details, but it appears that newer cards do not always follow VESA 1.2 specification we are using. Mostly Intel Integrated chipsets.

The reactos installer may crash out of various reasons. We would need real hardware ROS debug log (acquired through null modem by second PC) to make any good out of it.