New here. Can't boot.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

didomusicuk

New here. Can't boot.

Post by didomusicuk »

Burned an install CD. Booted using Virtual PC 2007. Installed fine, but when it comes to boot, it just sits there on the splash screen. No disc activity.

I've read that Virtual PC is full of bugs, but I've had no problems running other OS'es under Virtual PC 2007, so I discredit those claims.

Incidentally, I've also tried booting from the live CD under a real system restart, and it suffered the same fate as the installed virtual copy.

This is a shame as I'd like to see this OS in action.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Virtual PC is not supported and rather never will be. Use QEMU or Vmware.
didomusicuk

Post by didomusicuk »

Haos wrote:Virtual PC is not supported and rather never will be. Use QEMU or Vmware.
Personally I find that a bit crap. Why should I change emulator just to run something? And this also doesn't explain why the live CD did the same thing. I'm not running broken or weird hardware either, just popular brand video/audio/network stuff. If this isn't supported, well then you have a lot of work to do yet.

I see no reason why it shouldn't work under Virtual PC 2007. As I said, everything else does just fine. That says lots about ReactOS.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

didomusicuk wrote:I see no reason why it shouldn't work under Virtual PC 2007. As I said, everything else does just fine. That says lots about ReactOS.
ReactOS works fine under VMware and Qemu. That says lots about VirtualPC.
Search through the forum. Devs explained several times why VirtualPC is not supported.
didomusicuk

Post by didomusicuk »

preston wrote:
didomusicuk wrote:I see no reason why it shouldn't work under Virtual PC 2007. As I said, everything else does just fine. That says lots about ReactOS.
ReactOS works fine under VMware and Qemu. That says lots about VirtualPC.
Search through the forum. Devs explained several times why VirtualPC is not supported.
What works under Virtual PC 2007:
* All 28 operating systems I've tried under it.

What doesn't work under Virtual PC 2007:
* ReactOS.

This says more about Virtual PC than ReactOS? AYRTS?

I'm sure the devs do say why it isn't supported, but that doesn't explain why they can't sort it out. Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is freeware, just like Qemu and VMWare. Its just as likely to be installed under it as the others. This means that your dev team have ruled out any chance of working on 1/3 of the popular products out there simply because they can't be arsed to figure it out.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

VPC 2007 patches some of the operating systems it recognizes to get them to run. Its video system is also broken in certain ways. Our current video driver doesn't take that breakage into account and will fail on it. Some of the developers also encountered a recursive reboot loop affecting their host OS, which prejudiced them against VPC.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

VM is used by ROS project only as a baseline for fixing most important bugs. As we will progress and ROS will become more compatible with Windows, VPC *may* work, but this is not granted. VPC is hacking into guest system more than we can accept.

Making VPC work with ROS would consume precious coding hours and put even more strain on our real-time testing capablity.

In simpler words, if you want ROS working on VPC, then give us a hand with it. You`d need at least one good programmer and quite a few people to test every new revision in it, to test any temporary blockers.

Saying "make it work" usually will get you ignored.
Jawmht

Re: New here. Can't boot.

Post by Jawmht »

didomusicuk wrote:Virtual PC 2007
Using a Microsoft product to run an alterative to one of Microsofts products. Oh the irony!
didomusicuk

Re: New here. Can't boot.

Post by didomusicuk »

Jawmht wrote:
didomusicuk wrote:Virtual PC 2007
Using a Microsoft product to run an alterative to one of Microsofts products. Oh the irony!
I use whatever I want, I'm not prejudiced against any software. I'd like to try ReactOS only to find it doesn't work with my choice of software and there is very little chance of it ever working with it due to the attitude of the developers here. Any other project and man hours would be devoted to solving the problems.

Unlike you, I couldn't give a fig who made it - if it works, its good. Shame the same can't be said of ReactOS under VPC.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

And most of the developers here don't care who made what software either. So far I'm the closest to a developer that's actually commented on this. They do care about the quality of the software, and VPC is one of the worst vm solutions they've dealt with. We know where the likely problem is, but it's on VPC's side, not ours. It's a question of should we hack ROS to get it to work on VPC, or leave it to MS to fix their bugs. We prefer the latter.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I'd like to try ReactOS only to find it doesn't work with my choice of software and there is very little chance of it ever working with it due to the attitude of the developers here.
No, the problem here is your attitude. You`ve been told that VPC is not supported and given the choice of apps that work. Then YOU start whining:
Personally I find that a bit crap. Why should I change emulator just to run something?
I see no reason why it shouldn't work under Virtual PC 2007. As I said, everything else does just fine. That says lots about ReactOS.
Of course you havent seen the note that Reactos is in alpha stage AND not recommended to be used on real hardware... why am i not surprised... But wait, there is more...
This means that your dev team have ruled out any chance of working on 1/3 of the popular products out there simply because they can't be arsed to figure it out.
Yes, because our devs have more important things to do, like actually DEVELOP REACTOS? Then you get some detailed explanation on VPC, although it wouldn`t be hard for you to search for it in our forum.

After getting the explanation right on a plate, you actually start bashing us... When we try to be nice and helpfull towards you, you respond with insults.
Any other project and man hours would be devoted to solving the problems.
Exactly. The point here is that ReactOS not running on VPC is NOT A PROBLEM. At least for us. Our goal is to make ReactOS a clone of NT 5.x system, NOT a system to be used in ALL VM sofware.

We use VM applications like qemu or vmware only as a baseline, upon which we may shape the system to its maturity, without the need of battling countless possible problems with different hardware.

As Reactos will get mature, it should be able to work on VPC. To that day, we dont need VPC. If we dont need it, we wont hack ROS to make it work on VPC, BECAUSE WE ARE NOT Microsoft, alas we dont have unlimited man- and financial power. Comprende?

Anyway, it`s YOU who wants to try ROS, not the opposite. You want to try ROS, you get the soft necessary to do this. Personally, i dont care if you try it or not. ROS is free, you dont pay anything for using it, so why should i care?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Caemyr, calm down. He's free to have whatever opinion he wants.
BPsoftware

Different VM

Post by BPsoftware »

I actually have got the same problem, I was using VIrtualBOX on windows and there ReactOS did not work, then I have tryed it on Virtualbox on Linux and there it worked.
I have installed VirtualPC2004 on windows, there it also does not work.
Maybe you are right I will test VMWare.
RedmondXP.com, the Internet Resource for high professional Windows Shareware Software's and Tools
didomusicuk

Post by didomusicuk »

Well well, no comments as yet as to why ReactOS also failed to work during a real system boot.

As for Virtual PC, I've just tried ReactOS under VMware, and it still doesn't work. Comments? I have one:

ReactOS is crap at the moment. Get back to me when it gets past the booting stage on at least 50% of hardware out there.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Didomusicuk
1. What vmware?
2. What ros branch version/trunk number?
3. We dont want to sell it, so we are not seeking any potential clients.