Network drivers?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

mads3n

Network drivers?

Post by mads3n »

Hi

im trying to install the realtek 8139 drivers in ROS, from a cd.
But everytime i do it, it doesnt seem to find my network card..
it says that the drivers was installed succesfully, allthough it doesnt work.. :/

ive installed the drivers through the driver guide that pops up when booting it the first time...

can anyone help me so i can come online?

/mads3n

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Hi mads2n,

This is a known bug, there's no alternative way to make it work afaik.
See this:
http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1147

mads3n

Post by mads3n »

thing is..
im at school, and our assignment is to install ReactOS and get network working :P and our teacher says that he's seen it work before.. so is there any alternatives to get network working on ROS ? (0.3.3)

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

mads3n wrote:thing is..
im at school, and our assignment is to install ReactOS and get network working :P and our teacher says that he's seen it work before.. so is there any alternatives to get network working on ROS ? (0.3.3)

Sure there is, use a virtual machine (VMware, QEmu) and install ReactOS there, the issue doesn't exist with those emulators.

mads3n

Post by mads3n »

gabrielilardi wrote:
mads3n wrote:thing is..

Sure there is, use a virtual machine (VMware, QEmu) and install ReactOS there, the issue doesn't exist with those emulators.
and thats the only alternative ?
since our teacher wants a computer containing ROS, and not emulated.. since i allready got that working.. ^^

dreams

Post by dreams »

Could be he saw it working on an older version of ReactOS. Since then major rewrites have happened in the kernel, which may have broken the driver support. I did not yet get my network card working on real hw.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

try an old version maybe? maybe around 2.5 should be OK but before the rewrite. I don't know if the SVN versions go back that far though.

I think that is expecting a bit much by your teacher, networking has worked but only ever on limited hardware and even if there hadn't been a kernel rewrite it may well have broken at any time.

mads3n

Post by mads3n »

thanks for all your answers :)
yes it was because he saw it in an older version.. ( lol )
in the end he lot us emulate it instead.. 2 days wasted playing with ros in school :P