ROS Real Hardware Test System (RRHTS xD) tips

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

geertvdijk

ROS Real Hardware Test System (RRHTS xD) tips

Post by geertvdijk »

I'm currently getting some old spare parts together for a ROS testing system, any do/donts? (its a celeron 500mhz, 128mb ram, 500megs harddisk, onboard graphics (at least until I find a dedicated graphics card around here in this mess)...
-graey-

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Only thing i can think of: An on-board card has a likeliness to not work... If your gonna get a dedicated card, make it a NVidia TNT2 or GeForce 4, depending on what graphics power you need. Those two seem to match your computers power. Oh, and BTW, Only use NVidia if you want to have 3D acceleration. Its not a bias, but its just the only card known to work right now. In fact, it may not even work at this point - Its likely the bug was fixed and nobody noticed...
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage

FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Not meaning to invade the topic or anything, but...

What is the lowest speed processor that ROS can run on right now?

FlyingIsFun1217

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:Not meaning to invade the topic or anything, but...

What is the lowest speed processor that ROS can run on right now?

FlyingIsFun1217
I haven't really tested, but I thought the only 'real' limitation was RAM size, as there is some bug/thing/whatever that causes ROS installation to fail when ram is under 64 mb. However, when you've got ROS installed it can run on 32mb, and I heard 16 as well, not even talking about building ros mean-and-lean or something. I think it runs at a Pentium 1 100mhz at least, but that's just me guessing.
-graey-

psyco001

Post by psyco001 »

I'm thinking tooo that ReactOS is Runing on 100MHz, too.
I've installed ReactOS on my P2 233MHz and it's runing verry good