How to get files in and out

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

techpro

How to get files in and out

Post by techpro »

I have installed ReactOS from the latest snapshot under QEMU on Windows 98. It works fine as far as it goes, but I can't see any way to get files or programs into it.

I can't give it access to the host drive, because that would be dangerous, and it is NTFS anyway.

The network card appears to be working, according to the system properties and IPConfig, but I can't see any way to attach to a shared folder on another computer, nor a web browser or any way to download files from the internet.

Could someone point me in the right direction?
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

I haven't managed to use shared folders either. What you can do is share the windows internet connection, and if one of your windows folders allows non-password-protected ftp, you might be able to use firefox to access them.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

There is also a program called editdisk (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937 ... index.html), wich can open VMWare and qemu images.

Ged: That's why I'd like to have Download! included in the builds ;-)
techpro

Post by techpro »

I tried the editdisk program but I can't get it to work with any of my images. It complains about an invalid cluster size of something.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

techpro wrote:I tried the editdisk program but I can't get it to work with any of my images. It complains about an invalid cluster size of something.
Yes it's a bit difficult. you need to select "(Manual HD)" then in the next window select as Format the second Entry ("AT...")
then you will see the partition in the upper left corner. Click on it to choose it then click ok (or doubleclick the partition)
It only works with uncompressed images and the program only supports FAT16, so it will not take care about long filenames.
techpro

Post by techpro »

ThePhysicist wrote:It only works with uncompressed images and the program only supports FAT16, so it will not take care about long filenames.
Ah, that probably explains it. I formatted the partition using FAT32.

The suggestion from Ged worked fine in the end. But I'm still struggling.

How do you report bugs?

I copied the OffByOne browser to the disk as I thought that might be a useful tool to bootstrap other programs into the system. It froze the mouse pointer at the first attempt to go online.

The ping command freezes the command prompt at the end of its output.

I copied wget over as well and that seems to be contacting a web server OK but I am getting

<timestamp> ERROR -1: Malformed status line

I am going to try to download a Firefox 1.5 installer, copy that to the virtual disk and then install it, but ...
techpro

Post by techpro »

Well, the FF installer seems to have locked up the mouse pointer when I clicked Next at "Ready to start installing Firefox".

None of the Windows programs I copied across to see if they would work would even start. :(

Time to give up, I think.
FSX

Post by FSX »

It's alpha, but it still is rather disappointing. Ah well, they arf working on it.