Not Booting,... Can't import modules?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Darkmaster

Not Booting,... Can't import modules?

Post by Darkmaster »

ok, I installed ReactOS onto a computer with Windows ME installed on a single-partition, FAT-32 hard drive thinking that Freeldr would add Windows ME and ReactOS (newest released version) to the boot options. I installed Freeldr to the MBR and got "Don't yet support loading new modules from imports" popping up when i turn on my computer. After i press any key the computer restarts. I am not sure why i did it, but after that i installed the bootloader GAG 4.9 to see if i could find out anything. When I go to the Operating System installed on the computer from GAG i get the same message.

My freeldr.ini was blank so i put:

[default]
Default=ReactOS
Timout=10

[Operating Systems]
ReactOS="ReactOS"

[ReactOS]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ReactOS
Options=/SOS

I haven't tried to add Windows ME in there and I am not sure how i could even restore Windows ME

Right now i get a message saying "Loading Freeldr..." then "Don't yet support loading new modules from imports"
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

ReactOS is alpha, so you`ve been warned. No guaratee it`ll work on your real hardware, also installing it with other OS present is NOT RECOMMENDED.

Better way to test ROS is to use vmware or ROSTE (QEMU) and run it in emulation. If you really want to use ROS on real hardware, prep a separate, primary partition on FAT32. Best thing would be to use a separate hdd, for example some old 512-4gb. 512 mb is more than you need to run the system alone.

Use current trunk, not 0.3.1, test the iso first in emulator and dont use CD-R (as ROS may not work at the end, even when you did everything properly).

Welcome to the world of testing an alpha stage OS. Dont worry, Linux had passed it as well.
Darkmaster

Post by Darkmaster »

OK, so does anybody know how i could get Windows ME running again without its original startup disk?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You`ve probably messed up your MBR. There are some tools to repair it, you could try those.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

If you have a spare PC on hand, you could get a Windows ME boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ . Otherwise, ReactOS install should have thrown your old bootsector into a file called bootsect.dat . Try getting back in to the freeldr.ini and playing with the name. Eventually you'll get it. If you get a Windows 9X (Can be any type as long as it's got FAT32 support) boot disk, type FDISK /MBR. Type yes, Y, or what ever else and it should set your WinME install back up. Do you often use WinME? Took me 5 years to get a stable copy of it...
More ReactOS, please!
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

boot from a win98 bootdisk and type 'fdisk /mbr'
Darkmaster

Post by Darkmaster »

The other computer i have here is a windows xp without a floppy drive i got UBCD to run on the old computer, it creates a virtual floppy disk and runs various programs off of that. Anyway, bootsect.dos is blank and so was freeldr before i edited it.
Darkmaster

Post by Darkmaster »

why is the filename "bootsect.DOS" and not "bootsect.dat" ? and why is it empty?

does anyone know if I can get a cd version of a Windows 9x boot disk?
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downrigh ... ot_CDs.htm
I`m pretty sure there is something useful for u in the link above.
Darkmaster

Post by Darkmaster »

k, i type in "fdisk /mbr" and nothing happens it just does this:

C:\>fdisk /mbr

C:\>_
Darkmaster

Post by Darkmaster »

I don't have a msdos.sys... so thats wierd

GAG is now gone after i used "fdisk /mbr"

this is what is in C:\ :

DOCUME~1
HP
HP INTE~1
PROGRA~1
QUICKENW
REACTOS
TEMP
WINDOWS
autoexec.bat
autoexec.bak
config.bak (empty)
bootsect.dos (empty)
freeldr.ini
hpinte~1.lnk
scandisk.log
sspppoe.log
command.pif
config.sys (empty)
freeldr.sys
oakcdrom.sys
pagefile.sys
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

FDISK /MBR totally resets your boot record to boot off C:\IO.SYS . To get this set up, at the C:\ prompt on your WinME machine, type in copy a:\io.sys c:\ . Then type copy a:\msdos.sys c:\ . That is all you should need to start Windows. If this gives you "INVALID MEDIA" or "FILE NOT FOUND", type in attrib A:\io.sys -r -h -s . Do the same for MSDOS.sys . If you still get "FILE NOT FOUND", try other drives besides A:\ for your CD-ROM. Normally a DOS boot cd emulates the CD as diskette A:\. Later, you will need to reinstall GAG. The reason you can't boot might be because of some bootloader installation problem.
More ReactOS, please!
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Are you sure io.sys and msdos.sys aren't simply hidden? I think "dir /a" should show hidden/system files. Failing that, try "attrib" without parameters.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Counting_pine: I'm pretty sure they are only hidden, but sometimes you just get used to typing it all in. One of my installation disks has the A R H S options set so you don't screw around with it.
More ReactOS, please!
Darkmaster

Post by Darkmaster »

"dir /a" worked, but i can't copy hidden files in DOS mode for some reason...