So what's a good release for a first time evaluation?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

gordonf

So what's a good release for a first time evaluation?

Post by gordonf »

I tried getting 0.3.1 to install on real hardware with poor results; Setup had some bugs that made 40 GB hard drives look like 4095 TB ones. Those were resolved in a separate thread in Support.

However, I want to try out a reasonably stable release that folks are already using with Firefox and Open Office. The real hardware I'd run these on is:

Intel P-II 333 MHz
192 MB memory
Intel MU440EX mainboard including:
  • Early ACPI support (which works in Win2K SP4 but must be forced)
    APM 2.0 support
    Onboard ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP2x 4 MB video, supports VESA in BIOS if recent trunk releases are to be believed
    Onboard Yamaha PCI audio
    Two USB 1.1 ports
Generic network card using Realtek RTL8139D (seems to be the best card for ReactOS so far)
Western Digital WD400 hard drive, which supports UDMA 2 on this board

The screen shots I saw so far were for various apps running on 0.3.0, and the Realtek instructions were also for 0.3.0. Should I use this release, or an earlier one, or should I wait for 0.3.3?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

0.3.1 was released during a major kernel rewrite (after which we still are unable to stabilise the trunk. You could try the latest trunk, but we are still behind 0.3.0 in terms of application compatibilty. Next or one after the next release will be a lot better, still we do not recommend ReactOS for everyday use.

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

If you can find it, use 0.3.0. Most of my systems use that, and none have ever crashed. (Stark comparison to the pretty blue screens on Windows PC's there.) Later, catch up to the project, and that might be a good plan.
More ReactOS, please!

gordonf

Post by gordonf »

Reacter wrote:[Insert obligatory Microsoft-bashing here]
I love how everyone bashes Windows as a reflex action in this community. Especially here where you're trying to clone it.

The Wiki's UserSecurity article prompted me to evaluate ReactOS in the first place. Yes, it's in Alpha, so I'm not expecting Win2K stablity, but I had hoped to avoid the kind of knee-jerking I see in Linux forums.

The 0.3.0 release is still on the Sourceforge page, so I've fetched that.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... up_id=6553

dreams

Post by dreams »

Recent trunk versions work excellent on real hardware here, so you might try that too.

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

@gordonf: If they unbundled IE, I would not bash them except maybe once a month, if the cleaned up the crappy coding job in some of their apps, I wouldn't for another year. DOS never crashed for me, Win3.1 never crashed, Win95 never crashed, and after a little 95-replace-MilEdition surgery, the 95/ME hybrid never crashed again.
More ReactOS, please!

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

gordonf wrote:
Reacter wrote:[Insert obligatory Microsoft-bashing here]
I love how everyone bashes Windows as a reflex action in this community. Especially here where you're trying to clone it.

The Wiki's UserSecurity article prompted me to evaluate ReactOS in the first place. Yes, it's in Alpha, so I'm not expecting Win2K stablity, but I had hoped to avoid the kind of knee-jerking I see in Linux forums.

The 0.3.0 release is still on the Sourceforge page, so I've fetched that.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... up_id=6553
You'll actually find that we bash Linux and MS equally here, if not Linux more. And when we bash MS, most of us bash the management. We actually like some of the technology MS puts out. And if you hop on IRC, you'll see a lot of general apathy/disdain for Linux from time to time.

gordonf

0.3.0 Installed and running Firefox 1.5

Post by gordonf »

Pretty good, I have to admit. It took a few tries and I got tripped up by the apparent lack of CD change support, but here I am on ROS 0.3.0 running Firefox to type this post.

I find that I can't just eject and insert CDs at will, and I had to have my Realtek netcard driver CD inserted immediately after setup or I couldn't install the driver... there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to invoke a device driver installation after you get your one chance to install it.

I'll be looking forward to evaluating this and upcoming revisions. Oh, and is there one person or group of people in charge of user level security (file and registry ACLs for instance)? I'd like to know what they're thinking of.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

The security options are available but are turned off, as it is a very low priority objective right now.

It will get back in the scope in beta stage.

rosuser1

Post by rosuser1 »

dreams wrote:Recent trunk versions work excellent on real hardware here, so you might try that too.
Any idea if I can run NVidia TNT2 drivers on them? 60Hz refresh rate makes myself flicker, too :(

dreams

Post by dreams »

rosuser1 wrote:
dreams wrote:Recent trunk versions work excellent on real hardware here, so you might try that too.
Any idea if I can run NVidia TNT2 drivers on them? 60Hz refresh rate makes myself flicker, too :(
Hmm, don't think you can run those drivers yet.. Driver installation isn't as good as it used to be, because of some fixes in the kernel which made hacks elsewhere not working anymore.

rosuser1

Post by rosuser1 »

Thanks! I'll wait.