Two setup freeze instances on P-II 333 / 440EX chipset

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

gordonf

Two setup freeze instances on P-II 333 / 440EX chipset

Post by gordonf »

ReactOS Setup 0.3.1 freezes when trying to format a partition or when it starts to copy files.

System:
Custom using Intel Pentium II 333 MHz
Intel MU440EX motherboard with onboard everything, supports UDMA2 for IDE
192 MB RAM
Varying hard drives from 20 GB maxtor to 40 GB Western Digital

I used Win2K SP4 as my baseline, and I used its recovery console to inspect the drives before and after a failed setup.

Baseline: Win2K SP4 Diskpart display

Code: Select all

38167 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on Bus Atapi

C: FAT32                   9000 MB (8991 MB free)
            Unpartitioned Space    29167 MB
ReactOS Setup:

Code: Select all

38167 MB Harddisk 0 (Port=0 Bus=0 Id=0) on Atapi

C: FAT32                   9000 MB
            Unpartitioned Space    4294959599 MB
ReactOS thinks the unpartitioned space is 4095 TB.

I've used FIXBOOT and FIXMBR from the Win2K console to reset the boot sectors, but this didn't make a difference. The disk had been exposed to Norton Ghost 2003 and it had a Ghost ID on it, so I thought that was confusing Setup. I also tried disabling Logical Block Addressing support in the BIOS and repeating the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR steps, with the same results.

Even more interesting is when I try to delete existing partitions from ReactOS setup, I'll only be able to create new partitions of 1.2 GB, or maybe 1.8 GB if I'm lucky. Attempting to format any partition from Setup will promptly freeze.

I've tried creating partitions using Diskpart from Win2K Recovery Console manually, then starting ReactOS Setup. From this approach, I can get as far as specifying the ReactOS folder. Then it will begin to create its folder structure and start to copy atapi.sys, after which it promtly freezes. Inspecting the crashed installation shows me the folders in system32 and atapi.sys in system32\drivers, but I haven't yet inspected this file to see if it's complete -- it does match the original file size however.

I don't know if ReactOS tries to use ACPI or not, but this machine's motherboard required me to force ACPI support in Win2K Setup to enable it. However, it does work. I was under the impression that ReactOS doesn't use ACPI though.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

ACPI is currently turned off in trunk. I dont know if it`s on in 0.3.1...

The other thing you can do, is to check the latest trunk version. You can either download it (last link in Download section) or build it yourself.

If this or any other bugs persist in trunk... we cannot do much more. To do any fixing, we would need a debug outut first. You can get it from real hardware, but it requires second PC as a "receiver" and a null modem cable to connect them.

If you need any more info, ask on forums or visit our irc channel #reactos.

gordonf

Post by gordonf »

Haos wrote:We would need a debug outut first. You can get it from real hardware, but it requires second PC as a "receiver" and a null modem cable to connect them.
I didn't know debug was available from setup. Is this a matter of modifying the install CD so that it produces some output? I thought DEBUGPORT was only available for an installed OS.

My test PC and main PC are in the same room, so a null modem cable's a quick solution. I suppose I could also scrounge up an old Herc display card and monitor; apparently this is available for debug output (DEBUGPORT=MDA) and the machine does have one ISA slot.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There's a build specifically for debugging. But I would highly advise highly to trying trunk first before going back to 0.3.1.

http://svn.reactos.org/iso/

Pick the highest revision number bootcd and download the debug version.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It is possible to turn on debug for 1st stage as well. The bad side - is that it requires downloading sources, modification and rebuilding.

If anyone is interested, i`ll consult with a dev to double-check it and post it in How to`s.

EDIT: as far as I`m concerned, even dbg versions have 1st stage debug output turned off. It needs confirmation though.
Last edited by Haos on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gordonf

Post by gordonf »

How do I go about enabling debug output in Setup? I don't see a freeldr.ini I can edit on the image.

Or is debug output to a serial port enabled by default on the debug build's Setup program? There's this Wiki link which I can follow, if I know Setup is going to give me some output:

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/P ... rial_cable

Or maybe a better idea is to use hardware that I know will work and continue my evaluations. The MU440EX system just happened to be the first complete system I can dedicate to some testing.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Serial debug output should be enabled by default.

EDITED:

P.S.
Could you please try r27033? There was a bug in Setup. Fixed.

gordonf

Post by gordonf »

hto wrote:Could you please try r27033? There was a bug in Setup. Fixed.
27033 installed after a couple of tries, good job!

Setup seemed to ignore or override the BIOS Logical Block Addressing setting, because on the 20 GB and 40 GB drive, Setup only saw 8 GB. I could partition it using Win2K DISKPART and install on a larger partition, but it would promptly fail to boot with "freeldr.sys not found." Yes, I played a bit with the LBA setting to try to get 0.3.1 to install, but I put everything back before continuing. I'll try to find an old MS-DOS or Win9x installation to verify the LBA behaviour.

Of course I ran into multiple problems with the working installation, but I'll save those for another post.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

AFAIK 1st stage debug output is not available in official trunk iso, no matter rel or dbg. Someone told me to enable it by changing all #define NDEBUG in base\setup\usetup\ into #undef NDEBUG.