Playstation 3

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kraeken

Playstation 3

Post by Kraeken » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi!

My first post here :P I was wondering if any of you know if ReactOS could possibly work on Playstation 3. There is this option "install Other OS". Would be super sweet to run some windows, or yet better Mac OS X applications(if that´s even possible) on my PS3

I was reading about other OS for PS3 on this site: http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/25/ps3-running-windows/ and one of the comments suggested that maybe sometime ReactOS could maybe be run on the PS3... so, that´s why I´m writing this post.

Any ideas..? :roll:

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:59 pm

The Cell processor is basically a variation of the Power architecture. In order to run on the PS3, we need to be able to run on Power processors. There's work being done on that side, but nothing specifically aimed at the PS3. I'd say, a year at least, before this could be seriously considered.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:43 am

This Link shows WindowsXP running on QEmu on a PS3. This way you already CAN install ReactOS on PS3.

Kraeken

Post by Kraeken » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:52 am

Hehe yeah, I watched about 6 or 7 minutes of that video and got bored waiting for the system to boot :D The guy got up to login screen in Xp before I got bored

SectorNine50

Post by SectorNine50 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:06 am

I would love to see ReactOS hit PS3 sometime too! I think the PS3 could be a very powerful tool for server-like tasks.

Are there still plans to possibly make a port to the PS3?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:58 am

As already said. There are no plans for the PS3 itelf, only for the PPC Architecture. Currently we have a PPC and ARM port in development and both do not work yet. And even if they will do, you wont be able to run X86 PE Executables, only PE Executables of the same Architecture. There is the possibility to use QEmu's real time binary translation stuff to get all executables run, but this is only theory right now.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

SectorNine50

Post by SectorNine50 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Ah that's right, I'm sorry, mixed up a couple threads I was reading at the time.

Hmm... I see the problem there. Alright, well I'm sure you guys will do what you can. Keep up the good work! 8)

Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 am

Another issue is that (as far as I know) Sony is not really supporting Other OS development in an open way; the details known about the virtualized environment and hypervisor calls are only what can be gleaned from their Linux/kboot sources, although there is an independent effort to document it at the ps2dev wiki: here.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Ex-Cyber wrote:Another issue is that (as far as I know) Sony is not really supporting Other OS development in an open way; the details known about the virtualized environment and hypervisor calls are only what can be gleaned from their Linux/kboot sources, although there is an independent effort to document it at the ps2dev wiki: here.
You're right; although Linux is the BIOS for the PS3; or at least the backend is UNIX.

Here's a linux made just for PS3 mainly as well as IBM cell and Apple: http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:48 am

Iyeru wrote:Linux is the BIOS for the PS3; or at least the backend is UNIX.
I don't know of any real evidence that the PS3 OS is UNIX-based; do you have a link? It is possible to install kboot (which is a specialized form of Linux) into onboard flash as an Other OS bootloader, but everything in Other OS mode is isolated from the main OS, including the bootloader.
Iyeru wrote:Here's a linux made just for PS3
Yes; the point of my post was that you can get Linux for PS3 not because Sony openly provides the information needed to port a kernel, but because Sony employees added PS3 support to the Linux kernel.

SectorNine50

Post by SectorNine50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:56 pm

My thoughts (which are not very programming oriented by the way.) were that maybe it would be possible to make a "kboot" that will execute ReactOS. Or am I missing something huge making this impossible?