Can't get networking running in VMWare

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

clintonthegeek

Can't get networking running in VMWare

Post by clintonthegeek »

Hiya!

I'm running ReactOS 0.31-Release in VMware Server 1.0.2 build-39867 in Kubuntu Edgy Eft, and for the life of me I can't get networking running!

This screenshot should pretty much sum it up:
[ external image ]

VMware is set up with Bridged networking, and it does work as I can surf the web running a Damn Small Linux ISO through VMware, which successfully finds my DHCP and gets on my network. I haven't changed any of the defaults, and I get this problem from both the official ReactOS VMware image and installing from the Install ISO onto a new blank VMware image.

If I knew how to install drivers in ReactOS, I'd install the ones on the VMware Tools ISO (windows.iso), but the Setup program doesn't successfully install them, nor can I open the Device Manager from the System dialogue.

So, any suggestions? :)

-Clinton
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Hello ,
I havent tried VMware in some time now.. but maybe u should try "NAT" for the connection .. am not sure it it works.. but worth a try..
Regards GreyGhost
clintonthegeek

Post by clintonthegeek »

Hmm... well, that's got me online, anyways. I really should have tried that first though. :oops:

Anyways, thanks for the tip! I imagine that ReactOS should have been able to find my DHCP though, so I guess it's some kinda bug at any rate.

-Clinton
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

No problem man .. i too tried a few variations on network interfaces to figure this out when i had trouble conneecting to the net under VMware.. i suppose its a bug and will need fixing or maybe the implemntation is still not complete or something..
Regards GreyGhost
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

vmware needs to be running in bridged mode to pick up dhcp
clintonthegeek

Post by clintonthegeek »

That's the thing Ged, it was running in bridged mode, and other virtual machines connected to my network with their own IP addresses with the DCHP... just not ReactOS.

If I had to take a guess, it might just be my piece of crap Belkin router though, I've had problems before. :)
shadowSRT4

I have the same exact problem

Post by shadowSRT4 »

I dont think it has to do with your router I am seeing the same problem with my VMWare vm bridged mode works with ubuntu, not with ReactOS.
Axelsson

Post by Axelsson »

I also had the same problem. And it works NOW with NAT.

Don't forget to reset WMware if you try this. :roll:

edit: not=NOW :oops:
Last edited by Axelsson on Sun May 06, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

This is weird. I have used ROS .3.1 on vmware server 1.0.x with the networking working fine.