How to modify Qemu c.img file

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
dj50
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:32 pm

How to modify Qemu c.img file

Post by dj50 »

Hello,

I'm trying to test some apps with ReactOS and I can't find an application that can read/write the c.img file that comes with the Qemu version of ReactOS.

I have no way of copying something to that image.

GvG
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by GvG »

Google for "mtools"

dj50
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:32 pm

Post by dj50 »

I didn't find much for Windows so I started toying with mtools under Linux. The problem is that I don't have a lot of Linux experience and I'm kind of stuck trying to mount c.img using mmount.

Gasmann
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:53 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Gasmann »

Under Linux, this should work (at least it works for me):

Code: Select all

losetup /dev/loop0 /home/thomas/bochs/c.img -o 32256
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/c
To unmount:

Code: Select all

umount /mnt/c
losetup -d /dev/loop0
The file can be used as a hdd partition mounted this way :wink:

dj50
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:32 pm

Post by dj50 »

I tried and I keep getting

mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I tried using the -t switch for mount with vfat and msdos and I got

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, or too many mounted file systems

navaraf
Developer
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Post by navaraf »

dj50 wrote:I didn't find much for Windows so I started toying with mtools under Linux. The problem is that I don't have a lot of Linux experience and I'm kind of stuck trying to mount c.img using mmount.
Under Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 you can use VDK (http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vdk.html) to mount the QEMU images.

Wierd
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:12 am

Post by Wierd »

A better alternative, is filedisk. It is GNU, and is available Here.
[/url]

navaraf
Developer
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Post by navaraf »

Wierd_w wrote:A better alternative, is filedisk. It is GNU, and is available Here.
[/url]
Can you explain why is it better than VDK? VDK is GPL too and in addition to normal images it handles VMware images too.

Wierd
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:12 am

Post by Wierd »

If properly created, VMware images are exactly the same as bochs, or Qemu images.

It is the 'sparse' image format of VMware that is proprietary.

As for why I think filedisk is better? I have had problems with image corruption with VDK, and newer vmware images.

zoken
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:35 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: How to modify Qemu c.img file

Post by zoken »

dj50 wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to test some apps with ReactOS and I can't find an application that can read/write the c.img file that comes with the Qemu version of ReactOS.

I have no way of copying something to that image.
I use WinImage

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DotBot [Crawler] and 1 guest