ReactOS does not run on older computers

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

PeterK

Post by PeterK » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:40 pm

hto wrote:Yet another blue.sys: http://www.5748.nm.ru/iso/test/
Use for testing with ReactOS2.iso.7z.
With Your newest BLUE.SYS (12.01.) there's no change to the situation:
Slow PC: In the moment Your input "window" appears, the keyboard does not respond anymore, no input possible ..
Also the following with no success:
hto wrote:blue.sys: It should write a letter to the screen at each stage. Try to boot with letter "U" first.
Sorry, it does not show letters on the AMD Duron 650.
Not even the "A" !
hto wrote:You can also try to use new setupldr.sys from that place.
I did use this new "setupldr.sys". Would it better be without ?

I jet DID NOT read out serial port debug output ..

I then ..

tried this CD on the "new" PC (where new BLUE.SYS is successfull ..) and it showed each stage from "A" to "T". (No, I didn't test EACH step, but a,b,c, .. s,t,u)

On "U" it ran (correctly?) through up to the "Setup" text.

madmax69

Post by madmax69 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:12 am

Latest SVN I tried (livecd-25438-dbg.iso) loads with multiple errros and gets a STOP error. Theres TMI to type out manually and report back.

Been trying to creata a useful freeldr.ini but can't find much info on the DEBUGPORT=FILE option.

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/D ... ut_to_file

Mentions "other options" but they don't seem to be specified and a Google search drew a blank. By default this outputs into systemroot in the O/S being loaded. Not a particularly useful option for a live CD.

Could this not take a file/path argument such as ?

debugport=FILE/x:\debuglog.txt

or default to assume a log file of known keywords not found

debugport=\bootlog.txt

debugport=m:\bootlog.txt

Might it not be an idea also to have freeldr.ini configured with multiple boot options on all distos with 10 secs timeout until stable - since it supports them.

Change...

Code: Select all

[FREELOADER]
Timeout=10

[Operating Systems]
ReactOS="ReactOS"
ReactOS-Debug="ReactOS-Debug"
ReactOS-Bootlog="ReactOS-Bootlog"

[ReactOS]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=LiveCD
Options=

[ReactOS-Debug]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=LiveCD
Options=/NOGUIBOOT /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN

[ReactOS-Bootlog]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=LiveCD
Options=/NOGUIBOOT /DEBUGPORT=FILE

I'd like to be able to boot test in QEMU, pick the right boot option and hand over the bootlog.txt to developers if asked rather than having to try to grab a screendump from QEMU (most of which useful info will have scrolled past the screen anyway

Currently editing using WinISO is a bit "hit and miss" as WinISO has a habit of crashing or hanging on re-save and reqires PSKILL then re-open the file. All rather fiddly when it could be automated at no effort.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:01 am

PeterK wrote: With Your newest BLUE.SYS (12.01.) there's no change to the situation:
Slow PC: In the moment Your input "window" appears, the keyboard does not respond anymore, no input possible ..
Blue.sys has no connection to keyboard. It's in setupldr.sys.
Sorry, it does not show letters on the AMD Duron 650. Not even the "A" !
I think this bug is more difficult.

Now i have no time to debug ReactOS.
I did use this new "setupldr.sys". Would it better be without ?
No.
I then ..

tried this CD on the "new" PC (where new BLUE.SYS is successfull ..) and it showed each stage from "A" to "T". (No, I didn't test EACH step, but a,b,c, .. s,t,u)

On "U" it ran (correctly?) through up to the "Setup" text.
All right.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:02 am

madmax69 wrote: Latest SVN I tried (livecd-25438-dbg.iso) loads with multiple errros and gets a STOP error. Theres TMI to type out manually and report back.
LiveCDs are broken, there is no point to test them now.
Been trying to creata a useful freeldr.ini but can't find much info on the DEBUGPORT=FILE option.
By default this outputs into systemroot in the O/S being loaded.
Could this not take a file/path argument such as ?
It does not take such argument. (See http://svn.reactos.org/viewcvs/reactos/ ... iew=markup )
I'd like to be able to boot test in QEMU, pick the right boot option and hand over the bootlog.txt to developers if asked rather than having to try to grab a screendump from QEMU (most of which useful info will have scrolled past the screen anyway
/DEBUGPORT=FILE sometimes works and sometimes does not work.
Currently editing using WinISO is a bit "hit and miss" as WinISO has a habit of crashing or hanging on re-save and reqires PSKILL then re-open the file. All rather fiddly when it could be automated at no effort.
Yes.

PeterK

Post by PeterK » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:29 am

hto wrote:Now i have no time to debug ReactOS.
So then thank You very much for working together up to this point ! I think it helps (me and others) a little bit that I can see SETUP of bootCD-dbg again - on just one of my PCs.

Well, I can't open a bugzilla bug about "keyboard not responding" because only Your modified sources do show the bug ! How can we report this (larger) bug / problem in setupldr.sys ?

Probably this bug does not have such a high priority as ReactOS seems to install well on some actual mainboards/PCs .. ?

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:43 am

There are plans to rewrite bootloader, as I heard.

madmax69

Post by madmax69 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:43 pm

LiveCDs are broken, there is no point to test them now.
Will there be an announcement on when it's worth starting user tests on the Live CD?

The suggested change to the boot menu does work - I've tested it. The only bit which I suggested as an extra was that the FILE option (3rd option I suggested) has added code to take a parameter for where to direct the file to. Not essential but would be a nice-to-have and make life easier for developers to be able to have a bootlog.txt emailed in instad of lots of verbal QnA once end user testing can restart.

I might even be able to write some code if I had a clue where to look in the source for the bootloader INI parsing/handling functs.

jeremyk

Post by jeremyk » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:20 am

well I have tryed the newst live cd adding the debug info to it so it will show me why it just stops after the boot screen and I got error
"Stop: 0x0000001E" Error Message During Setup

So now I am going to try the boot cd and see what happens

I did this in virtuelpc 2004sp1

on real hardware it stops at the boot screen but have not burnt a cd and try it yet

I think it has something to do with the genaric video driver
Third-party video drivers (and the Windows Win32k.sys driver).

jeremyk

Post by jeremyk » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:23 am

well i just got a break through if I use the vga 640x480 driver it works fine on the bootcd(not the live cd) so the other driver is broken just to let you know

it will go through the complete install but then wont restart once it gets to that part

PeterK

Post by PeterK » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:21 am

jeremyk wrote:.. it works fine on the bootcd(not the live cd) so the other driver is broken just to let you know..
Would be helpful to make a bugzilla bug report of it, will You ?

EDIT

Oh, I see, You did ..

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:11 pm

madmax69 wrote: Will there be an announcement on when it's worth starting user tests on the Live CD?
I think yes.

You can also read bug report 1850 and try to apply that patch.
madmax69 wrote: I might even be able to write some code if I had a clue where to look in the source for the bootloader INI parsing/handling functs.
It is not necessary to change bootloader. Look at function KdpInitDebugLog() in ntoskrnl\kd\kdio.c (how to create log file) and ntoskrnl\kd\kdinit.c (kernel command line).

madmax69

Post by madmax69 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:52 pm

I noted that if the bootloader had the timeout enabled at >0 in the freeldr.ini all the menu options to enable logging etc. can be chosen. Might not need the code fiddling with. Just the build config for the live ISO?

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Yes. But you said that
The only bit which I suggested as an extra was that the FILE option (3rd option I suggested) has added code to take a parameter for where to direct the file to.
Coding is needed for it.

madmax69

Post by madmax69 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:17 am

That was before I was fully aware of all of the options available via the boot loader's GUI menu (normally this is not visible as the timeout is ==0)

But if coding is needed I will have a butchers at it and see if it's anything I'd be competent at.

madmax69

Post by madmax69 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:10 am

Not sure if anyone will look at this. There may be no point since I've tested the Options= setting and it seems to work reliably. The code looks ok. Can't find claimed intermittent problems unlesss someone is getting the arg syntax wrong. It will only accept "=" delimiters as they're hard coded. Personally I'd have allowed ":" and "=".

If anyone feels up to it the following needs to be changed to add a new freeldr.ini "Options=/xxx" command for kernel debugging.

Code: Select all

In 85 kdinit.c in KdpGetDebugMode()
	Extract ascii string from cmd line passed via Options= in freeldr.ini
	Convert to Unicode and store or store then convert to unicode later
	Duplicate COM port 2nd parameter extraction code and adapt
	Detect new cmd line Options switch /DEBUGFILE=xxxxx
        I guess the string passed will be ANSI/ASCII
In kdio.c 111 in KdpInitDebugLog() 
	replace hard-coded unicode string \\SystemRoot\\debug.log
	If converting to unicode here then ensure converted
	If parameter passed via Options= is NULL then use default (below)
	        RtlInitUnicodeString(&FileName, L"\\SystemRoot\\debug.log");
Without knowing where to store this and how to properly convert to Unicode at the right time I'd probably break something!. ;)