ReactOS on my RadioShack TRS80

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

uncletom

ReactOS on my RadioShack TRS80

Post by uncletom »

C'mon,, you may know thats impossible,,, BUT I'm a newbie !!!!

Where is the tested/running/failed/approved/good/bad/whatever HARDWARE list ?
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

We have a compatibility database at: http://www.reactos.org/support/

Generally, if you have a WinNT serie (3.x, 4, 2k, XP, 2k3, Vista) driver for your hardware, ReactOS will support it, maybe not with version 0.3.0 but sooner or later.

Even with default driver, it supports a broader range of standard hardware as most common linux distributions.

Currently, some bugs in the boot code may prevent it from working on some hardware configurations.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

The database does not list ONE motherboard !
Generally, maybe not, sooner or later.... default driver, standard hardware, common linux.... Currently, some bugs, some hardware.
Gee, thanks for all that Newbie-HELPful information. :(
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Umm. If I'm reading the info on the TRS-80 correctly, I doubt ReactOS would run on your system. Even if it's one of the PC Compatible models, ReactOS is extremely sensitive to hardware types. If it's not mainstream, then you have a very low chance of getting ReactOS to function in a meaningful way, if it functions at all.

That said, just download and burn the LiveCD. That at least will tell you whether ReactOS recognizes your hardware at all. If your system even supports booting from CD.
frik85
Developer

Re: ReactOS on my RadioShack TRS80

Post by frik85 »

uncletom wrote:Where is the tested/running/failed/approved/good/bad/whatever HARDWARE list ?
[...]
The database does not list ONE motherboard !
You asked for the list/database and I answered with the link to our relative new compatibility database. You can also search in our ReactOS Wiki with the inbuild search function.

The best way is to test ReactOS the first time in a virtual machine and then either use LiveCD or InstallCD on your prefered hardware.

Maybe you can post some hardware specifications ... cpu (type and speed), ram, hdd (ide/scsi, sata, etc.), graphic card, etc.

Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.0 is in alpha stage and is not recommended for everyday use.
steveh

TRS80? not a compatible CPU...

Post by steveh »

TRS80 was built on a 8080 or Z80 microprocessor, Intels 8 bit technology bundled with CP/M for OS and same basic interpreter or compiler for programming.
It's similar as if you tried to port Apple MacOS to an AppleII "apple two" or to a Commodore 64...

Unless Reactos developers can correct my statement, i doubt that reactos runs on 8-bit processor.
It would not even run on a 16 bit Intel like the 8086
frik85
Developer

Re: TRS80? not a compatible CPU...

Post by frik85 »

steveh wrote:Unless Reactos developers can correct my statement, i doubt that reactos runs on 8-bit processor.
You need a 486, Pentium (or XBox) compatible computer.
Some parts of ReactOS prevent running on 386 afaik.
ReactOS requieres at least ~10 MB ram, it depends which compiler settings has been set.
tomleem

TRS-80 Mini-Itx Project?

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps if you made it into a TRS-80 mini-itx project? (replacing the original parts with newer/mini or nano itx parts?). http://www.mini-tix.com has a section for projects. :idea:

8)
Last edited by tomleem on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Davy

Re: TRS80? not a compatible CPU...

Post by Davy »

frik85 wrote:
steveh wrote:Unless Reactos developers can correct my statement, i doubt that reactos runs on 8-bit processor.
You need a 486, Pentium (or XBox) compatible computer.
Some parts of ReactOS prevent running on 386 afaik.
ReactOS requieres at least ~10 MB ram, it depends which compiler settings has been set.
Really? what settings could accomplish this? :D
Andrewm1986

Re: TRS-80 Mini-Itx Project?

Post by Andrewm1986 »

tomleem wrote:Perhaps if you made it into a TRS-80 mini-itx project? (replacing the original parts with newer/mini or nano itx parts?). http://www.mini-tix.con has a section for projects. :idea:

8)
Just correcting your link for those interested http://www.mini-itx.com/
tomleem

Thanks

Post by tomleem »

Thank you for the correction. I have also edited it too. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy