How can I make the live cd bootable from a flash drive?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

superppl

How can I make the live cd bootable from a flash drive?

Post by superppl »

I don't have much cd's but I want to try this out without installing it. I downloaded the live cd, mounted it and copied the files into my flash drive and tried booting from it, but that didn't work.
I'm using SuSE linux 10.1.
Can anyone help?
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

Two reason why it doesn't work.

1) ReactOS currently isn't advanced enough to support booting from USB, it's USB stack is still being developed and will soon be able to do this.

2) Just copying the files won't work. You need a special 512 size section of disk right at the start of the disk all the boot sector, just copying the files over doesn't add this bootsector.

Andrew
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Andrewm1986 wrote:Two reason why it doesn't work.

1) ReactOS currently isn't advanced enough to support booting from USB, it's USB stack is still being developed and will soon be able to do this.

2) Just copying the files won't work. You need a special 512 size section of disk right at the start of the disk all the boot sector, just copying the files over doesn't add this bootsector.

Andrew
Some computers emulate usb-sticks as scsi disks.
I myself have standardly plugged in my mp3 player of 1 gb, and when I installed linux, it recognised it as a scsi disk, and it also automounts it as one. The windows xp installer also saw it as a scsi disk... Now I don't know wether ROS supports scsi, but in theory, it should be possible, right?
(don't know how the MBR is going to work, is it possible to write that to the mp3 player?)
-graey-
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

geertvdijk wrote:

Andrew
I myself have standardly plugged in my mp3 player of 1 gb, and when I installed linux, it recognised it as a scsi disk, and it also automounts it as one. The windows xp installer also saw it as a scsi disk... Now I don't know wether ROS supports scsi, but in theory, it should be possible, right?
(don't know how the MBR is going to work, is it possible to write that to the mp3 player?)
reactos doesnt currently support scsi, but its in the works.

I would NEVER use your MP3 player to boot an OS, there are chances that it could break it for good.

There are plently of programs to write bootsectors to disks, linux program dd can do it for you and windows versions of the same.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Welcome to ReactOS !!
If u want to get a taste of ReactOS then i suggest u run it under QEMU ....
the wiki will help you out...
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

QEMU
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
superppl

Post by superppl »

My pc sees my usb disc as a hard disc and can boot from it. It's funny that ROS doesn't support scsi at this stage because my hard discs are scsi.
I was running ROS through qemu and vmware and it looks pretty good, I was just wondering what it would look like running full speed.

Thank You
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

superppl wrote:My pc sees my usb disc as a hard disc and can boot from it. It's funny that ROS doesn't support scsi at this stage because my hard discs are scsi.
I was running ROS through qemu and vmware and it looks pretty good, I was just wondering what it would look like running full speed.

Thank You
You can pick up a quick and dirty ide hard drive at most carboot sales
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Andrewm1986 wrote:
geertvdijk wrote:

Andrew
reactos doesnt currently support scsi, but its in the works.

I would NEVER use your MP3 player to boot an OS, there are chances that it could break it for good.

There are plently of programs to write bootsectors to disks, linux program dd can do it for you and windows versions of the same.
now that I think of it, indeed... Formatting it with the reactos installer would ruin the os of the thing itself, the firmware and such... :D Thanks :D
-graey-
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Andrewm1986 wrote:reactos doesnt currently support scsi, but its in the works.
ReactOS has SCSI support for several months/years. Although, there have always been regressions from time to time ...wait for ReactOS 0.3.1.
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

frik85 wrote:
Andrewm1986 wrote:reactos doesnt currently support scsi, but its in the works.
ReactOS has SCSI support for several months/years. Although, there have always been regressions from time to time ...wait for ReactOS 0.3.1.
That's what I meant, sorry for the bad phrasing