Antivirus Applications

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Grahamtse

Antivirus Applications

Post by Grahamtse »

I have tried 2 Antivirus applications, McAFee and PC-Cillin, on SVN-0.4 build 24295 and none of them can be installed successfully as predicted.

PC-Cillin, both 2005 and 2006, is hanged at the scanning process during normal installation.

McAFee, 4.51, is stopped at the beginning that it stated the system is not 95/98/Me/NT/2000 and terminated the installation.

Clamwin will be tried later.
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Your testing is appreciated, however, you should post in the compatilbility database instead of the forums when testing out programs.
Grahamtse

Post by Grahamtse »

Sorry, actually I want to ask why McAFee does not recognize ROS as a Windows.

I will post them to compatibility DB at least they install successful.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

While Symantec is guilty of mucking around in the internals too much, I don't know if McAfee is as well. The possibility is that the antivirus software requires Windows to behave in a certain way, which ReactOS does not emulate. While ReactOS does try to be compatible with Windows, if a program digs deep and begins relying on really, really specific behavior, some of which ReactOS would never do for good reason, it's likely it would fail. As for McAfee 4.5.1, if I'm looking at the info for the same thing you're referring to, it's old and originally designed for Windows 9x. That by itself would suggest possible compatibility problems, since ReactOS is NT based. Not just because it's NT, but also from Registry changes that took place from 9x to 2000 to XP.
avast!

Post by avast! »

Why bother with Norton, Mcafee, and PC-Cillin? My preferences are avast!, Antivir, and AVG and the best thing about them is that they don't cost you a dime. I haven't had the opportunity to test out any of my favorite antivirus programs in ReactOS but if anybody has, let me know. If you want to test it, you can download Antivir from www.avira.com , you can download AVG from www.grisoft.com , and you can download avast! from www.avast.com and hopefully, one of these will work in ROS. All of the antiviruses that I mentioned worked in 98-XP but I tried Antivir in Vista and it failed but avast! managed to work in Vista, didn't test AVG in Vista, don't know how much help this will be but hope it helps.