Can't boot after clean install..Live CD works

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

truck87bp

Can't boot after clean install..Live CD works

Post by truck87bp »

I get the message:
Boot from atapi CDrom : GRUB_

Don't understand what this is? Am I doing something wrong or do I have to key in something at the flashing curser after GRUB?

Sorry, new to Linux stuff...

Question #2

Why is the live cd 62 megs and the install iso cd is only 18 megs unzipped ? Shouldn't it also be around 60+ megs? Downloaded both within 10 minutes of each other...
Davy

Post by Davy »

I don't have an answer to that GRUB_ thing despite I have Linux experience, what I can tell you is that GRUB is a boot manager and loader. As for the Live CD and Install CD.

The reason the Live CD is 62mb is because it has ReactOS preinstalled on it and the Install CD does not, now the Install CD instead of having it preinstalled, it has enough to boot to the installer, but the rest of ReactOS is held within a compressed CAB file.
truck87bp

When I formated..

Post by truck87bp »

I used format c:/s witch is system files from win 98. I will reformat without system and try to reload.
thanx for the reply :)
truck87bp

Sucess !....nothing works...

Post by truck87bp »

dont know how to install anything...I guess I'll wait till you guys get the first main release done...then I'll dig into it....looks like big learning curve and I'd rather wait when its more stable....

Thank you and keep up the good work !

Down with Microsoft !
Davy

Post by Davy »

You're welcome, it's better if you use an emulated version of ReactOS at the moment, such as the QEMU download of it.
coolkoon

Post by coolkoon »

Well if you'd be familiar with Linux I'd recommend you trying it with GRUB, but if you're not really into it, then I agree with Davy: try it on an emulated system.
truck87bp

sucessful install

Post by truck87bp »

Got the OS to install but can't figure out how to install anything else....I'll Wait until August.
Thanx Again......Down with Microsoft!
coolkoon

Post by coolkoon »

Well, most of the stuff still doesn't work on ReactOS, but you can try to install those which can be. See The compatibility list for more details...