Trying to boot ReactOS with bhyve on FreeBSD 14...

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

mariozio

Re: Trying to boot ReactOS with bhyve on FreeBSD 14...

Post by mariozio »

---> Alternatively you can exclude scsiport and the drivers that depend on it (uniata, buslogic) during build by commenting out the "add_cd_file(...)" line in respective CMakeLists.txt files.

I see a lot of CmakeLists.txt files inside the folder called "C:\reactos-Desktop-UEFI",can you tell me which ones should I modify ? thanks.
Illen

Post by Illen »

mariozio wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 pm I see a lot of CmakeLists.txt files inside the folder called "C:\reactos-Desktop-UEFI",can you tell me which ones should I modify ? thanks.
Comment out these lines:
https://github.com/DarkFire01/reactos/b ... ts.txt#L31
https://github.com/DarkFire01/reactos/b ... .txt#L6-L7
https://github.com/DarkFire01/reactos/b ... xt#L41-L42
mariozio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 pm bhyve -S -c sockets=2,cores=2,threads=2 -m 4G -w -H -A \
By the way, note that you don't need to assign more than one core/thread, ReactOS does not support SMP yet.
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

Code: Select all

C:\reactos-Desktop-UEFI>configure.cmd ninja

Detected Visual Studio Environment VS17-i386
Creating directories in output-VS-i386
Preparing reactos...
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.39.33523.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.39.33523.0
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/BuildTools/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.39.33519/bin/Hostx86/x86/cl.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/BuildTools/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.39.33519/bin/Hostx86/x86/cl.exe - works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/BuildTools/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.39.33519/bin/Hostx86/x86/cl.exe
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/BuildTools/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.39.33519/bin/Hostx86/x86/cl.exe - works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Found BISON: C:/RosBE/bin/bison.exe (found version "3.5.4")
-- Found FLEX: C:/RosBE/bin/flex.exe (found version "2.6.4")
Compiling on amd64 for i386 (MSVC)
-- Build type: Debug
-- The ASM_MASM compiler identification is MSVC
-- Found assembler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/BuildTools/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.39.33519/bin/Hostx86/x86/ml.exe
-- Selected localization: all
-- rshell has no base address
-- msctfime has no base address
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/reactos-Desktop-UEFI/output-VS-i386

Configure script complete! Execute appropriate build commands (ex: ninja, make, nmake, etc...) from output-VS-i386
I read "output-VS-i386" ; is this correct ? shouldn't it be AMD64 ? I imagine that "Visual Studio Environment VS17-i386" is wrong.
Illen

Post by Illen »

mariozio wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:51 am I read "output-VS-i386" ; is this correct ? shouldn't it be AMD64 ? I imagine that "Visual Studio Environment VS17-i386" is wrong.
Yes, you should run "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt" instead.
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

Habemus ISO imagem !
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

It does not work :(

https://ibb.co/8mqs9QQ

cannot load boot driver uniata.sys !
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

These are the bhyve parameters that I'm using :

Code: Select all

bhyve -S -c sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -m 4G -w -H -A \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 1,ahci-cd,/home/marietto/Downloads/OS/ReactOS/reactOS_UEFI_BOOT2.iso,bootindex=1 \
-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5908,w=1600,h=950,wait \
-s 31,lpc \
-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI_CODE.fd \
vm0:8 < /dev/null & sleep 2 && vncviewer 0:8
I imagine that I should not use ahci-cd anymore,but that I should load the iso image directly inside the memory. But I don't know how to do this. I don't have a boot entry that do this automatically like I had on the ISO image produced by The_DarkFire.
Illen

Post by Illen »

mariozio wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 am cannot load boot driver uniata.sys !
This error can be ignored, also while I did not mention this here, I did highlight the "add_registry_inf(...)" lines in the links I sent you above. Comment them out as well if you want fix this error.
mariozio wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 am These are the bhyve parameters that I'm using :
Looks ok now.
mariozio wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 am I imagine that I should not use ahci-cd anymore,but that I should load the iso image directly inside the memory. But I don't know how to do this. I don't have a boot entry that do this automatically like I had on the ISO image produced by The_DarkFire.
RAM disk entries are included in hybridcd image. Also keep the ahci-cd option on bhyve as is.
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

ok. I made some progress :

https://ibb.co/N9QHdnp

unfortunately now it is stuck when it tries to load the mountmgr.sys driver.
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

man,do you have some vague idea about the problem that I'm having ? thanks.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Great, Keep us updated then ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

What ? I don't have idea about the reason why it freezes there. I'm waiting that some developer tells me what to try to unfreezes it.
florian

Post by florian »

First guess:

Most of our too few developers don't read our forum. https://chat.reactos.org/ is recommended.

Additionally:

Most ReactOS developers (and community members) will probably not use FreeBSD and might prefer a different virtual machine? And, well, Quibble, the custom Windows bootloader, "is only a proof of concept at this stage - don't use this for anything serious".

All in all your question might be thus too "niche" …
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

ok. let's make a step back. Let's see if I'm able to boot the x86 version with qemu (8.2.2) and seabios (version 1.16.1_1) :

qemu-system-x86_64 -machine q35 -m 1G -cdrom /home/marietto/Desktop/Downloads/OS/ReactOS/reactos-livecd-0.4.15-dev-7921-g6d853be-x86-msvc-win-dbg.iso -boot order=d

=

https://ibb.co/tZmFh2x
mariozio

Post by mariozio »

UPDATE :

I've been able to unfreezes ReactOS on the boot stage. I've just removed an offending bhyve parameter that can't be used because ReactOS does not support it. Now I'm at this stage :

https://ibb.co/Dtw8Hj1

now the problem is that I can't move the mouse inside the vm and the keyboard does not work...so I need to find some workaround to supply the absence of the arbiter...

I have some ideas that I would try...but to do this I need to learn how to add some useful tools inside the ISO image,like the ssh server that starts as soon as possible,so that I can work within the vm using ssh

I wanna try to use barrier to be able to use mouse and keyboard inside the vm...I will install the server on freebsd and the client inside the reactos vm...

it should work or not ? as long as react os has a network connection

but at the stage I'm will be also useful to be able to skip the language selection,to be able to go directly to the desktop area

how can I do this ?

I mean,let's assume automatically the italian language as a default language inside the ISO and don't ask me which language I want to use

how can I add some portable apps directly inside the ISO ? thanks