Did not install? and cannot reboot

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

stephanos

Did not install? and cannot reboot

Post by stephanos »

Dear All

I periodically try React OS and I gave 0.4.14 a try. I have a spare laptop so decided to install not to test. I used GParted to wipe the HDD, then the 0.4.14 Install DVD. All went well until it came to the reboot. With the DVD removed, the laptop did not reboot. It paused at an early stage just at the point were it offered: “Press ESC key for Start Up menu”. However pressing ESC did not do anything. I rebooted and pressed F10, the route into the BIOS. The message was “F10 … BIOS setup options” but did not progress. Finally, I put the GParted DVD back in the drive and rebooted. But the DVD was not read, so it did not boot.

Oh dear, I have crashed my laptop. Any help appreciated.
Some technical details are: Compaq Pressarion CQ56-101SA. 4GB Ram. 232 GB HDD. 2.2 GHz
dizt3mp3r

Re: Did not install? and cannot reboot

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Crashing a laptop, no, however, you can crash a program running on the hardware.

Are you saying you cannot boot your hardware anymore after installing ReactOS? Well, try a few options to boot first and analyse just as you would do if any hardware failed to boot for any other reason. At the moment you don't still know the cause nor the reason for the failure to boot. Investigate different boot options (different boot devices) and search t'net for problems booting with your specific hardware and find solutions to same. Check your CMOS battery &c.

When you have done all that and found nothing, come back and ask the ReactOS team or raise a bug on JIRA.

Remember you are working with old hardware that can fail at any time and you are also installing an Alpha grade o/s for testing purposes only. If you want to be absolutely certain not to damage your hardware nor your data, always test in a VM.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.