Black screen of death

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kxeo

Black screen of death

Post by Kxeo »

I cant even get to the installation screen. It’s just a black screen.
The last thing i saw was "Booting drivers..."
(It’s on a release build, on the bootcd, and idk how to get a debug log)
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Black screen of death

Post by EmuandCo »

This means we cannot help you. No information about the EXACT ISO used, no information about VM used or hardware used, no information about nothing...

https://reactos.org/wiki/Debugging
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Kxeo

Post by Kxeo »

First off...
I'm not running ROS on a VM. The laptop I use is a HP ZBook 17 G3, with 16 Gigs of Memory. I have Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2) and a Intel Core i5-6440HQ as my processor.
Second off: I used the iso file "ReactOS-0.4.14-release-61-gef399cd.iso". That's as much data I can think to give.
Pretty sure I can't debug ReactOS's software any further if it refuses to go to even the installation screen...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Oh there are some ways. Serial Port is only the easiest one. I recommend to ask in Mattermost Chat for some help.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Kxeo

Post by Kxeo »

Seems like I couldn't get much from Mattermost. Only thing someone responded with was network debugging, which isn't on the version of ReactOS I'm using. Anything else?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
have you tested Nightly builds on this computer? https://reactos.org/getbuilds/
the problem may be the GPU is not supported or the computer is too new for Reactos to run on you will have better look with a computer released roundabout the same time as xp

you can try creating a USB RAM) boot and use the option BootCD_Screen or LiveCD_Screen

edit is this the computer
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04950544
Last edited by MadWolf on Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kxeo

Post by Kxeo »

MadWolf wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:19 am hi
have you tested Nightly builds on this computer? https://reactos.org/getbuilds/
the problem may be the GPU is not supported or the computer is too new for Reactos to run on you will have better look with a computer released roundabout the same time as xp

you can try creating a USB RAM) boot and use the option BootCD_Screen or LiveCD_Screen

edit is this the computer
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04950544
#1: No, I have not tester nightly builds
#2, yes my computer is that
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

If your computer can run XP, then it has a fighting chance of being able to run ReactOS. A lot of generation 6 processors don't really want to run Win 7 let alone XP. The hardware might be too new.

What is your reason for selecting ReactOS?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Kxeo

Post by Kxeo »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:58 pm If your computer can run XP, then it has a fighting chance of being able to run ReactOS. A lot of generation 6 processors don't really want to run Win 7 let alone XP. The hardware might be too new.

I just want to use it. It sounds like a good OS to run!

I have a very old Toshiba, but I don't want to use it for ReactOS. It contains so many memories... from old program, s that we have on it, to the wallpaper being me as a kid, using that Toshiba, as slow as it is now, is off the table. Mom was using a Thinkpad before and then she traded it in for a HP laptop. Normally I would have said "Give it to me. I can do some stuff with it!" but I didn't want to. It just sounded wrong. Currently all I have is a HP ZBook 17 G3. If that's too new ig i'll have to stick to linux
middings

Post by middings »

Kxeo wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:39 pm Currently all I have is a HP ZBook 17 G3.
Did Hewlett Packard (HP) offer Windows XP as a supported option for this laptop? According to this HP support web page the answer seems to be "no". You could experiment with ReactOS on the HP ZBook 17 G3. ReactOS might pleasantly surprise you.

If you do try ReactOS on your HP laptop, let us know the result. Someone else might appreciate what you share.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Kxeo wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:39 pm I just want to use it. It sounds like a good OS to run!
ReactOS is NOT a good OS to run, what made you think that it would be good to use?
ReactOS is currently like a car that is 50% under development, only three wheels, a stuck accelerator and no air bags.
ReactOS is only for testing and continued development, it may/will corrupt your data if you use USE it in anger.

When it reaches Beta then it will be testable for intended future use but it is currently in Alpha.

Please choose the o/s you want to use carefully and do some research in advance. ReactOS will be fun to try but that's it.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

Kxeo wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:39 pm
dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:58 pm If your computer can run XP, then it has a fighting chance of being able to run ReactOS. A lot of generation 6 processors don't really want to run Win 7 let alone XP. The hardware might be too new.

I just want to use it. It sounds like a good OS to run!

I have a very old Toshiba, but I don't want to use it for ReactOS. It contains so many memories... from old program, s that we have on it, to the wallpaper being me as a kid, using that Toshiba, as slow as it is now, is off the table. Mom was using a Thinkpad before and then she traded it in for a HP laptop. Normally I would have said "Give it to me. I can do some stuff with it!" but I didn't want to. It just sounded wrong. Currently all I have is a HP ZBook 17 G3. If that's too new ig i'll have to stick to linux
ReactOS is still in the alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
You can test it in a VM the recommended VM software is VirtualBox or VMware workstation player but on Linux-based os, I recommend VirtualBox I have had a problem with the VMware workstation player the first run has a problem detecting GCC so I had to compile the kernel modules manually or the kernel modules fails to compile

if you can you may be able to pick up a cheap computer that was made round about 2001 to 2008 have a look at the Supported hardware wiki this may help in getting a system that ReactOS can run on https://reactos.org/wiki/Supported_Hardware
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

What's wrong with Qemu (or even better: Aqemu) on Linux?
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
middings

Post by middings »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:57 pmWhat's wrong with Qemu (or even better: Aqemu) on Linux?
Nothing is "wrong with Qemu". However most ReactOS devs and experimenters seem to suggest using VirtualBox and VMware more often than Qemu.

Perhaps some recommended virtual machines for testing ReactOS are more recommended than others.