Why does the RUFUS installation of ReactOS not have freeldr.sys

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Videogamer555

Why does the RUFUS installation of ReactOS not have freeldr.sys

Post by Videogamer555 »

So I used Rufus to install ReactOS on an external harddrive (not a USB thumb drive, but rather a USB harddrive). Actually it's an internal IDE drive, but I'd wanted to install ROS on it, so I removed it from the computer it was in, and then used a USB-to-IDE converter on another computer to connect it. The computer it's connected to by USB then just thinks it's a regular external harddrive.

The cool thing about Rufus is with ReactOS selected from the menu for the OS you want to install, it doesn't even require you to supply it with an ISO. It has this special option to directly install ReactOS directly (presumably it downloads the ISO from a server somewhere and then installs that behind the scenes onto the harddrive). However, when I put that harddrive back in the computer I'd originally taken it out of, it immediately gave me an error, saying it was missing freeldr.sys and I don't know why an option in Rufus specifically for installing ReactOS would leave out a critical file like that.

What I need to do now is find a copy of freeldr.sys and manually copy it to the root directory of my C drive, using a floppy with DOS or FreeDOS to make it a bootable floppy. The problem is now where will I find that copy of freeldr.sys?
Ben

Re: Why does the RUFUS installation of ReactOS not have freeldr.sys

Post by Ben »

Are you sure that the freeldr.ini file is pointed to the right place? and you can find freeldr.sys in any ReactOs bootcd iso under /loader/setupldr.sys
Last edited by Ben on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.