A freeze! Any suggestions?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ludo

A freeze! Any suggestions?

Post by ludo »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to ReactOS, but knew about the plans ... almost ... decades ago! Never quite forgot it.
This time I decided to take the step...
Install (in a QEMU virtual machine) went fine.
Looks were good - I was surprised but hardly - what does one expect ? It's just the right attempt to unite the best of the Linux world to make Windows openly available... ;-))

So then I decided to install a browser Firefox (48? I think). Which launched alright.
I opened a new tab to look for a page, found it, clicked on the link.

Then all froze.

Restarted the VM. Then it froze on the pre log-in page (where you have to press CTRL+ALT+REMOVE), no matter how often I restarted...
Then I booted into a debug option, and this is what I got:
[ external image ]
I hope that helps.

Is there anything that can be done from there - or avoided next time (after the next install I suppose).

Cheers to all those who try here.

Ludo

P.S. And I wish you a lot of developers.
binarymaster

Re: A freeze! Any suggestions?

Post by binarymaster »

ludo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:47 am I opened a new tab to look for a page, found it, clicked on the link.

Then all froze.

Restarted the VM. Then it froze on the pre log-in page (where you have to press CTRL+ALT+REMOVE), no matter how often I restarted...
Then I booted into a debug option, and this is what I got:
[ external image ]
I hope that helps.
Using the force reboot will always lead to this problem, until this ticket is fixed: CORE-6762

To avoid this problem, use VM snapshots. Always shut down ReactOS VM using the Start menu => Shutdown (or Restart).

The initial problem of a freeze has to be investigated and debugged separately.
ludo

Post by ludo »

Hello binarymaster, hello everyone,

Is there a way I can help you debug "the initial problem of a freeze" ?

About a VM snapshot, you probably mean this is one I make with my system (here QEMU), don't you?
Is there a particular procedure you recommend?

Cheers

Ludo
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

ludo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:31 pm Is there a way I can help you debug "the initial problem of a freeze" ?
It's not a trivial process, you can probably ask in our chat: https://chat.reactos.org/
ludo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:31 pm About a VM snapshot, you probably mean this is one I make with my system (here QEMU), don't you?
Yes.
ludo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:31 pm Is there a particular procedure you recommend?
I can only suggest consulting your VM software manual. For example in VirtualBox it's pretty straightforward, cannot say about QEMU.