Has anyone been able to run the game Ragnarok on ReactOS?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

felipedilho

Has anyone been able to run the game Ragnarok on ReactOS?

Post by felipedilho »

Hello, I installed ReactOS on a VM in my PC for testing if the game Ragnarok would work, I had been considering changing from Windows to Linux but I really feel limiting that I cannot run Ragnarok on Linux because it now uses EAC that doesn't work with WINE in Linux, so I downloaded ReactOS on a VM to find out if it would run Ragnarok, I know that the objective of ReactOS is to have a system that would run anyting that used to run in WindowsXP, and since Ragnarok was released in 2002 (although it has received updates along the years) and I remember playing it for the most part in Windows XP so I thought that it might just run in ReactOS, and since ReactOS is not emulating windows functions like WINE is I thought that it probably wouldn't have the same problem that Linux has with EAC (were EAC interprets the WINE layer as some sort of malicious program trying to allow some cheat in the game and blocks the program from running), but then, when installing the game the installing bar stops at the middle and when I try to restart my ReactOS VM it then goes to a initialization screen that says to press Ctrl-Alt-Del that I try to pass through the virtualization software shortcut, but it doesn't work and keeps stuck in that initialization screen, does anyone know what is wrong?

This doesn't have anyting to do with my question, but if Ragnarok does work in ReactOS I had been thinking of trying to learn OS programing so that I could make my own Linux distro that would be a hybrid of Linux and ReactOS, that is, a Linux system that had it's kernel modified so that it could also run Windows XP programs natively without WINE using the necessary parts as adapted from ReactOS to accomplish that, but that is a little bit of a crazy dream of mine right now, first i will read and implement all of LFS and BLFS to be able to know more how unrealistic that is.
PeterLinuxer

Re: Has anyone been able to run the game Ragnarok on ReactOS?

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Please, have in mind that Windows is a HUGE piece of software and more than just a kernel. So the developers are working hard to make a complete Windows "clone" (if that's the correct word). In the meantime please accept that ReactOS is not ready yet!

I recommend that you try to learn OS programming. If you fail, what do you have lost? Nothing! You have at least learned something. And if you succeed, we have one more system programmer. Good!

About your ideas of modifying Linux or ReactOS: Well... try it!

And about creating your own Linux distro: This is less a programming job, but more a configuration and administering job. I mean there maybe some things you would program, but mostly you take existing software and bundle it and decide which desktop environment, which look, which init-daemon etc. A lot of configuration scripts.

EDIT: LFS is cool! But if you master LFS you still have learned virtually nothing about the Linux kernel and about Windows.
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

felipedilho wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:48 pm Hello, I installed ReactOS on a VM in my PC for testing if the game Ragnarok would work, I had been considering changing from Windows to Linux but I really feel limiting that I cannot run Ragnarok on Linux because it now uses EAC that doesn't work with WINE in Linux, so I downloaded ReactOS on a VM to find out if it would run Ragnarok, I know that the objective of ReactOS is to have a system that would run anyting that used to run in WindowsXP, and since Ragnarok was released in 2002 (although it has received updates along the years) and I remember playing it for the most part in Windows XP so I thought that it might just run in ReactOS, and since ReactOS is not emulating windows functions like WINE is I thought that it probably wouldn't have the same problem that Linux has with EAC (were EAC interprets the WINE layer as some sort of malicious program trying to allow some cheat in the game and blocks the program from running), but then, when installing the game the installing bar stops at the middle and when I try to restart my ReactOS VM it then goes to a initialization screen that says to press Ctrl-Alt-Del that I try to pass through the virtualization software shortcut, but it doesn't work and keeps stuck in that initialization screen, does anyone know what is wrong?

This doesn't have anyting to do with my question, but if Ragnarok does work in ReactOS I had been thinking of trying to learn OS programing so that I could make my own Linux distro that would be a hybrid of Linux and ReactOS, that is, a Linux system that had it's kernel modified so that it could also run Windows XP programs natively without WINE using the necessary parts as adapted from ReactOS to accomplish that, but that is a little bit of a crazy dream of mine right now, first i will read and implement all of LFS and BLFS to be able to know more how unrealistic that is.
hi
wine, Wine Is Not an Emulator it is a compatibility layer steam play proton can play easy anti-cheat games but the developer needs to enable it but I do not know about any non-steam games using easy anti-cheat

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/01/e ... team-deck/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

ReactOS uses parts of wine
felipedilho

Post by felipedilho »

PeterLinuxer wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:27 pm Please, have in mind that Windows is a HUGE piece of software and more than just a kernel. So the developers are working hard to make a complete Windows "clone" (if that's the correct word). In the meantime please accept that ReactOS is not ready yet!

I recommend that you try to learn OS programming. If you fail, what do you have lost? Nothing! You have at least learned something. And if you succeed, we have one more system programmer. Good!

About your ideas of modifying Linux or ReactOS: Well... try it!

And about creating your own Linux distro: This is less a programming job, but more a configuration and administering job. I mean there maybe some things you would program, but mostly you take existing software and bundle it and decide which desktop environment, which look, which init-daemon etc. A lot of configuration scripts.

EDIT: LFS is cool! But if you master LFS you still have learned virtually nothing about the Linux kernel and about Windows.
Hello, I know that it will probably take years to make it, but what can I say, I kind of am looking for a hobby in which I can get a sense of development out of, where there is a clear notion of progress, also I had written that about LFS because I had thought that in the book a really minimal Linux-like Kernel would be made (kind of a false propaganda If you ask me), I hadn't seen yet that it would just import the entire Linux kernel that has milions of lines, which I may be wrong but I think are not all strictly necessary, as I understand many people and corporations write on the Linux Kernel to encompass their particular necessities which weren't there before, soI belive that for most users a big part of the Linux kernel goes virtually unused.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Your postings are long and complicated. So it took me some time to get to the core.

My advice: If you want to play Ragnarok stop that complicated procedure and instead install Windows on your PC. Because both ReactOS and Linux aren't capable of running Ragnarok. But if you still want to do OS programming do it. And if you don't like the bloat of the Linux kernel try the ReactOS kernel, because the ReactOS kernel is a hybrid of monolithic and microkernel.

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.