installing a browser

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

blmuzzy

installing a browser

Post by blmuzzy »

I'm running the current reactos in a VMware virtual machine to test it out. I couldn't find suggestions in the forum for installing a browser so I copied the opera browser installer .exe to the desktop but it won't run. Any suggestions for which browser or how to install it? Thanks!
binarymaster

Re: installing a browser

Post by binarymaster »

1. Start "Applications Manager" shortcut on the desktop or in Start menu -> Programs
2. Select "Internet & Network" section and install any browser you want
3. Once the browser is installed, do not try to update it to latest version - it will stop working and you'll have to reinstall

Note: If you are running Live CD, there will be no shortcut to Applications Manager, because in Live CD mode the system works in read-only mode.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Be sure to run a browser version that is compatible with an older version of Windows such as XP. Do not expect current versions to work.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
blmuzzy

Post by blmuzzy »

Thank you for your replies. I tried Firefox 48 but that bluescreened the VM. I'll try to find some bare metal to re-install ReactOS on vs a VM. Thanks!
blmuzzy

Post by blmuzzy »

I failed at installing ROS via USB on an Intel NUC. I tried a Live DVD but it hung before completing. I tried installing from a DVD and got the "press any key to install..." screen. Then loading NTOSkernel, and maybe one other screen before it hung, too. Seems possible my hardware isn't on the approved list.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

I have no experience with the PC you mention; however, on the one occasion I had ReactOS hang during the setting up in my hardware (see my signature), I solved the problem by outboarding the SSD to a Win-7 PC and quick-formatting it. Then I hooked it back up to my ReactOS PC and went again.
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
blmuzzy

Post by blmuzzy »

Kevin, thanks for the suggestion. Did you format it as FAT32?
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

I can't recall. I don't think it was important—I simply wanted to ensure there were no remnants of data on it.
I hope it works for you—ReactOS can be a lot of fun in real hardware. Once you adjust to the slow-motion nature of, it really is quite engaging.
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
blmuzzy

Post by blmuzzy »

I wiped the hard drive & rebuilt the USB using the instructions at https://reactos.org/wiki/LiveUSB. They say to place bootcd.iso in the root of the USB. I renamed reactOS-0.4.14.iso to bootcd.iso. The Intel NUC PC boots to FreeLoader and I get "Loading RamDisk..." but it then goes right back to the FreeLoader options. Choosing BootCD (Screen) does the same thing, and I don't get to a debug prompt. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

blmuzzy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:26 pm I wiped the hard drive & rebuilt the USB using the instructions at https://reactos.org/wiki/LiveUSB. They say to place bootcd.iso in the root of the USB. I renamed reactOS-0.4.14.iso to bootcd.iso. The Intel NUC PC boots to FreeLoader and I get "Loading RamDisk..." but it then goes right back to the FreeLoader options. Choosing BootCD (Screen) does the same thing, and I don't get to a debug prompt. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!
[redacted]
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
blmuzzy

Post by blmuzzy »

My apologies for tagging this onto a thread I'd started. I'll repost. OK to lock this thread now.