ReactOS Virus?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

rosc83739

ReactOS Virus?

Post by rosc83739 »

Hi,

I was installing ReactOS ISO on my flash drive, and I saw that McAfee felt that it was a virus. It shows up as ‘Artemis!7B26D9BB071B’. This is worrying me. Can somebody help me?

Thanks
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS Virus?

Post by EmuandCo »

Sorry to say it that way, but if a virus scanner like stupid and prone to false positives McAfee worries you, you likely should not try ReactOS yet.
This system is far away from daily usability and needs devs and testers / reporters. We don't have or need users yet...
Sure you can tiner with it, we would be happy if you do. But you've been warned. Never use it on a PC with important stuff on it. NEVER ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

You just have to stop McAfee detection. ReactOS is known to be detected as virus by some nutty antivirus. It's only false positive.

PS: McAfee like Norton are the worst antivirus you can have, even Windows Defender is better. :lol:
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

shunesburg wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:40 pm even Windows Defender is better. :lol:
Well...

Image Pasted at 2021-6-25 13-39.png
Image Pasted at 2021-6-25 13-39.png (26.03 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

rosc83739 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:28 am Hi,

I was installing ReactOS ISO on my flash drive, and I saw that McAfee felt that it was a virus. It shows up as ‘Artemis!7B26D9BB071B’. This is worrying me. Can somebody help me?

Thanks
McAfee knows the file is a window system file it may be checking the file for the digital signature but the ReactOS version is not digitally signed so it flags the file as a false positive
https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_FAQ#My_Anti-Virus_claims_that_ReactOS_has_a_virus wrote: My Anti-Virus claims that ReactOS has a virus
Common sense should tell you that these must be false positives. Malware scanners that base their operation upon imperfect malware signatures can flag perfectly safe programs as being infected. In some cases, even Windows components signed by Microsoft have been flagged as malware. That is the case with ReactOS. Your scanner is flagging a ReactOS component as a false positive. We recommend that you use a tool such as VirusTotal but learn how to differentiate a malware report from a false positive. When you come across such an occurrence in ReactOS then take the correct action to report the false positive to your chosen anti-malware provider. Each tool provides such a utility, either through the tool itself or via a web page. That is your responsibility as a user of the tool.

Be assured that ReactOS is FOSS and as such the code can be checked by you and by experts for any hidden malware. Anyone who chooses to do so can review the code at any time. No malware has ever been detected in ReactOS and we aim to keep it that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_signing
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?p ... id=KB65525
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

If I'm not wrong, it's because of the implementation of Dr Watson, the virus data base is detected as a virus.