ReactOS 0.4.13 on a 2000s Notebook

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

marv91

ReactOS 0.4.13 on a 2000s Notebook

Post by marv91 »

Hello,

I want to install the latest ReactOS version 0.4.13 on an 11 years old Sony Vaio PCG-3192 (Pentium III 500 Mhz, 64 MB SD RAM microDimm 100 Mhz, 20 GB IDE HDD).
Because ReactOS needs in his lowest configuration only 64 MB RAM, it tried to install it on an empty HDD.
After the installer launches all installer files (show like in Windows XP), the screen stays blank and black.

Are there other requirements needed to install it successfully ?

Thanks.
binarymaster

Re: ReactOS 0.4.13 on a 2000s Notebook

Post by binarymaster »

marv91 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm Are there other requirements needed to install it successfully ?
Usually no.
marv91 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm After the installer launches all installer files (show like in Windows XP), the screen stays blank and black.
Try to install a nightly build from here: https://reactos.org/getbuilds/

If it would do the same, you will have to perform debugging session so we can understand what exactly goes wrong.
marv91

Post by marv91 »

Hello again, The last screen is "loading boot drivers". Previous texts: "loading hal.dll" , loading "ntoskrnl.exe" and "detecting hardware"
1. I downloaded and burned this file from the suggested link : reactos-bootcd-0.4.15-dev-2883-g33c7c91-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.7z
2. I cannot open a debugging session because the installer doesn't give any possibility to select an other option.
Thanks for your useful help.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

marv91 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:16 pm Hello again, The last screen is "loading boot drivers". Previous texts: "loading hal.dll" , loading "ntoskrnl.exe" and "detecting hardware"
1. I downloaded and burned this file from the suggested link : reactos-bootcd-0.4.15-dev-2883-g33c7c91-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.7z
2. I cannot open a debugging session because the installer doesn't give any possibility to select an other option.
You should try livecd first (which has debugging functions) and make sure it works for you. Only after it makes sense to try bootcd.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

marv91 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:16 pm Hello again, The last screen is "loading boot drivers". Previous texts: "loading hal.dll" , loading "ntoskrnl.exe" and "detecting hardware"
the ReactOS has a two-stage setup stage one of the setup is where you select your system language and keyboard layout this stage the debugging is on by default you do not need to select an option to enable debugging

stage two after you reboot you will get a screen "Please select the operating system to start" this is where you will get the option to select ReactOS (Debug) you will get this screen every time you start ReactOS

edit
you will need to get a debug log to help find what is preventing the system from booting your laptop will need to have a serial port but if the laptop is missing a serial port you can edit a file on the iso but this depends on what OS your other computer is running on a linux distro, for example, Linux mint you can use isomaster but for windows or mac I do not know any free software to edit the iso

in the freeldr.ini look for
[Setup]
BootType=ReactOSSetup

on the next line add Options=/DEBUG /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN /SOS

[Setup]
BootType=ReactOSSetup
Options=/DEBUG /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN /SOS

Does the laptop have an internal CD/DVD drive or are you using a USB CD/DVD drive?

https://reactos.org/wiki/Debugging
Last edited by MadWolf on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

MadWolf wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:36 pm the ReactOS has a two-stage setup stage one of the setup is where you select your system language and keyboard layout this stage the debugging is on by default you do not need to select an option to enable debugging
He clearly stated above that he's not even reaching the stage of language selection.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

On one occasion, my installing of 0.4.12 hung on a blank blue screen at around the point you have mentioned. I abandoned the installing and outboarded the SSD (attached it via a USB Sata tail) to a Win7 PC and did a quick format (I can't remember if it was NTFS or FAT32). I then returned the drive to my ReactOS PC and the subsequent installation was successful. Just never give up.
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)